chapter sixteen

Today was draining. I had classes early in the morning, and then work straight after. But once again, I got lost in my own world as I read over more manuscripts. I had already given 3 to Derek today. Time was passing by slow, and as much as I loved reading all day, I really just wanted to go home.

     My phone vibrated against the desk. I lifted my eyes from the paper and turnt it over.

      Jack: party at Logan's tonight, we're all going. you should come!

     My breathing hitched as I read over the text. The last time I was at a party was that night. I closed my eyes, fighting the memories from resurfacing. I texted him a quick excuse and set my phone back down.

     Me: thanks, but parties aren't really my thing. ill try to stop by before though:)

     The next two hours at work went by slow. I couldn't focus on the words I was reading. My mind ran over all the possibilities that could happen tonight. All I knew was that I didn't want what happen to me to happen to someone else. And that I needed to talk to him.

     After I had finish my shift, I immediately went over to the boys' house. Jack and Jonah's cars were missing from the driveway, but the white Tesla lifted a weight off of my shoulders. I went to knock on the door, but Corbyn and Christina appeared in the doorway.

    "Madison!" Corbyn said and gave me a welcoming smile. "This is my girlfriend, Christina."

    "I've heard so much about you!" She smiled and waved slightly.

     "And I would love for you guys you get to know each other, but we have to get going. Logan wants us at the party early to help set up." Corbyn said before rushing out of the doorway.

     I walked into the house just as Zach and Kay walked down the steps. Zach tilted his head and lifted his eyebrow.

     "Thought you weren't coming?" He asked and grabbed the keys from the kitchen island.

    "I-i'm not. I came here for," My voice trailed off as my eyes looked up the steps. Zach followed and nodded slightly, giving me permission to go. I mouthed a 'thank you' and slowly walked upstairs.

      Beyond Daniel's door, I could hear faint singing. I listened for a moment before knocking on the door. It took a moment before the door flew open, revealing Daniel. He wore a plain black jacket with a white t shirt underneath and a pair of black jeans. It was simple, but he made it work so effortlessly.

     "Madi, I don't have time to talk. I have to go." Daniel said before gently pushing past me.

     "Daniel, please wait." I grabbed onto his hand as he passed by. He stopped, turning slightly to look at me. "I came here to say I'm sorry. I know I should've said it sooner, but I couldn't bring myself to it knowing I had already hurt you. I really am sorry and I'll do anything until you forgive me."

     "Come here," Daniel sighed, opened his arms a bit. I fell into his arms with ease as they wrapped around me protectivly. "I guess I should apologize too. I shouldn't have overreacted like that knowing you weren't in the right state of mind."

    "You had every right to react like that. I'm an idiot for keep going back to him." I sighed into his chest. Daniel's arms felt like home and I never wanted to part from it. I looked up and placed my hand on the side of his cheek. "Please be careful tonight."

    "I always am?" His voice was questionable in response to mine. "Is everything okay, do you want me to just stay here?"

     "No, no. You go have fun. It's just.." I wanted to trust Daniel with the events that happened. But I wasn't ready to talk about it. "Nothing. It's nothing. Don't worry. Call me afterwards, you can come over to my place?"

     "Sounds like a deal," He smiled before letting go of me. I walked him out to his car and watched as he drove away. As I waited in traffic, my mind couldn't help but replay the memories in my head.

      "C'mon, Madison. Let's have some fun." Aaron slurred, pulling me into an empty bedroom. We were at his friend's graduation party, but somebody brought alcohol and it turned into more after that.

    "Aaron, stop. I want to go home." I practically begged and shook out of his strong grip.

     "Fine. Go. You always ruin the fun." He groaned. Rolling my eyes, I left the room and went downstairs. I hated how he always dragged me to the things and only wanted to get plastered. I didn't mind that he wanted to have fun, but his definition of fun was something completely different.

     I went straight to bed when I got home, only to be woken up at 3 am with continuous buzzing noises from my nightstand. Looking at my phone, I clicked on the first notification. Then a picture of a girl in her underwear popped onto my screen. Followed by another. And another. My eyes were still foggy from just waking up, so it took me a second to adjust to see the name on the screen. Aaron.

    My heart broke as more pictures flooded in. I knew they weren't pictures pulled off Google or anything, because I knew that girl. She was in my English class this year. And I knew that Aaron was the boy in the photos because of the scar that reached down his arm from when he broke it playing baseball. I sat there, feeling worthless and heartbroken.

    Aaron had cheated on me.

   The sound of the beeping horn from behind me interrupted my thoughts. The light was green now. I continued and sped home. When I got inside, I slid down the door and let myself go.