chapter thirty-five

The album was complete. They had managed to record 8 Letters and fit it into the album, even naming it after the song. It was set to come out within the next week and the boys were beyond excited and proud. I've only been apart of their journey for a few months, but even in that time they grew so much. Last night Daniel had told me about the release date and he got so overwhelmed that he was speechless.

   "I just can't believe it. It feels like just yesterday I was singing infront of J-Lo and Keith Urban on American Idol. Now I'm in a band with an album coming out. It's insane." Daniel had said, tears of joy in his eyes.

  When I walked into work the next morning, a little sticky note laid on my keyboard. Confused, I picked it up and read the neat handwriting.

    Please come see me in my office when you come in - D. Laucks

    My nerves started to kick in and I took a deep breath. It's been over a week since I gave him my book and I haven't even seen him since. Obviously that's what it's about, but I wasn't sure if it would be good or bad. I placed my things down and calmed myself down before knocking on his door. He yelled to come in and I opened the door slowly, trying to regain myself again.

   "Just the person I wanted to see," Derek smiled at me as I sat down in front of him. "I had some meetings and a conference out of town I had to push your entry back a bit. But when I started reading it, I couldn't put it down. The way you connect the story to real issues and epidemics in today's world is amazing, your writing in general is outstanding."

  "Thank you so much, Derek." I smiled at him. He liked my writing. He really liked it. When the boys said they liked the bits I showed them, I thought they were only saying that because they wanted to be nice. I had no idea that someone outside of my circle would enjoy it.

  "I sent copies around to the other publishers in the building, and once I hear feedback from them we can start setting up meetings and start the process from there."

  "Wait," I could literally feel my heart pounding out of my chest. "Are you saying you're going to publish my book?"

   "It's going to take about 6 months with the publication process we have hear, but yes. Your book is going to be published."

   The words repeated in my head almost a million times before it seemed real. The book I had spent years writing was going to put out there for the world to expierence. My eyes welled with tears of joy.

We finished talking about the publication process. It would have to be sent to an editor, then a copier, then we'd have to speak to sales reps, the list went on. But, he said that my book would for sure be on the market by June of next year, the perfect time for readers to pick up a summer read.

  "I'm sure you're too anxious to work, so you may take the day off. Congratulations, Madison. You're going to be a published author."

   I couldn't wipe the smile off of my face. It seemed so unreal to me. Once I had gotten into my car, I couldn't help but call Daniel.

"Hey, Pretty Girl. Aren't you supposed to be working?" Daniel said through the phone, the light sound of music playing in the background. 

  "Are you home?" I tried to keep my excitement down, but it wasn't really working.

   "Yea, the boys all left this morning to go home for Thanksgiving so it's just me. Why, what's up?" Daniel's family decided to stay in Los Angeles for the holiday since they had recently bought a house down here. I was going to fly back home to Pennsylvania, but I had work and needed to study for exams. Daniel's family invited me to go over there for dinner, which only made me more of a nervous wreck. I had only met Anna, and now I would be meeting most of his family all at once.

  "I'll be there in 10 minutes, I'll tell you when I get there."

  Daniel sounded confused when we said our goodbyes. I hung up and drove as quickly as I could to his house. Thank God for it be 10 and there not being too much traffic. When I got to Daniel's, I ran inside. He stood in the kitchen, looking through the cabinets.

  "Daniel you'll never believe what happened!" I said as he closed the cabinets, turning towards me.

"Well obviously it's something good, what is it?" Daniel laughed and leaned against the counter.

  "My book is being published!" I squealed and jumped like a little girl. Daniel's jaw dropped as he smiled wide.

   "That's amazing!" Daniel walked over to me, hugging me tightly. He kissed all over my face, finishing off with a kiss on the lips. "I knew you would get it. You're an amazing writer, you deserve this."

  "It just seems so unreal. I've spent so long working on this and now it's becoming an actual book with a cover and pages and all." I let go of the breath I didn't know I was holding it. Daniel leaned his forehead against mine.

   "I'm taking you out tonight," Daniel's hands rested on my hips, bringing me closer to him. "I'm going to take you to the nicest restaurant in all of Los Angeles."

   "Daniel you don't have to-" I began to argue, but he put his finger against my lips.

  "Protest all you want, I'm still going to take you. Because you deserve it. We are celebrating you, Pretty Girl." Daniel locked his ocean blue eyes with mine, smiling at me. "I'm so proud of you."

   Those 5 words were enough to bring tears to my eyes. The last few weeks were hell and it seemed like things just kept getting added on top of the last. My life outside of Daniel seemed to be falling apart. But hearing someone say that they are proud of you does something unexplainable. It gives you purpose and the motivation to continue going. And it really does show that the simplest words have the most powerful meaning.