chapter twenty-four

After about 20 minutes of trying to cover the bruise on my cheek, I was finally ready for my date with Daniel. I wore a denim skirt with a white off-the-shoulder top. I've had first date jitters since yesterday morning, impatiently waiting to see what he had in store. He wouldn't tell me what it was, besides the fact that I didn't need to dress up for it.

   The door knocked, signaling he was here. I fixed my hair once more before going to answer the door. When I opened it, Daniel stood on the other side with a bouqet of sunflowers.

   "I was going to get you roses, but then I remembered you said you didn't want cheesy." He said nervously. I looked at him in awe and kissed his cheek.

    "You're adorable, Seavey." I took the flowers and quickly put them in a vase. Daniel stood there awkwardly, as if he was nervous for something. It was weird to see him like this. He was always jumpy and excited about something.

     "Ready?" He asked and held out his hand for me. I took his hand and we were off. When outside, I searched for his car but didn't see it. I went to ask where he parked before he pressed a button on the set of keys he was holding. A truck peeped in response. "I borrowed Dad's truck for the night."

     As we drove, he bounced his free leg and held my hand tightly. We made small talk, which again wasn't like him. It was driving me crazy knowing there could've been something going on in his head.

     "Are you okay?" I finally asked. I turnt to look at him. His cheeks grew to a pink shade.

     "Yea. I-i'm just nervous. I'm afraid that you won't like what I planned." Daniel bit his lip and kept his eyes low on the road.

     "I'm sure what you have planned it going to be amazing, Baby." The pet name slipped from my lips easily. His smile grew at it and put his hand back in mine.

     "Okay, okay. I think it also might be because you're beautiful and it just hit me that I'm the lucky one taking you on a date tonight out of every one else," His voice was full of insecurity.

     "Daniel James Seavey," I took his face in my hands once we stopped at the red light. "You are the most humble, sweetest, most amazing person I've ever met. And you're super dooper cute, which is just a plus. I'm the one who's lucky to be going on a date with you."

     "I hate to break it to you, but dooper isn't a word, Ms. English Major." His face relaxed in my hands. He closed his eyes and exhaled a bit. "I love you."

     "I love you." I leaned over and pressed my lips to his. The driver behind us honked their horn, causing both of us to jump from the kiss. The light was now green. Daniel and I looked at each other before bursting into laughter.

     After about another 30 minute driver, Daniel had finally pulled up to where he said the date was. The only thing was, it was in the middle of nowhere. We were parked ontop of a mountain in the desert side of California. He told me to stay in the car while he went around and 'fixed something'.

    "Okay, close your eyes." He said and helped me out of the truck. I did as he asked, only for him to put his hands over my eyes. He led me somewhere and removed his hands from my eyes. "You can look now."

    When I opened my eyes, the bed of the truck was neatly decorated with pillows and blankets. There was a little box full of snacks and waters. I looked up at him and smiled widely.

     "You did all of this?" I asked, wrapping my arms around his torso. 

     "I figured we'd come out here, watch the sunset and stargaze. It's cheesy, but not cheesy enough." He laughed down at me.

     "I think it's perfect. Thank you, Daniel." I stood on my toes and kissed him.

      "Anything for you, Pretty Girl." He winked and helped me onto the truck. 

     The sun was set slowly as Daniel and I laughed and talked the night away. We laid down and watched the stars, pointing out the constellations that Corbyn had taught him. It eventually came down to us asking each other random questions.

   "If you could drop everything right now and travel anywhere, where would you go?" Daniel asked while his eyes kept focused on the stars above us.

    "London. Ever since I was little I've wanted to go. I've always been fascinated by the history and culture there." I traced shapes on his arm that was hung around my shoulder. "What do you think you would've done if you weren't a singer?"

   "I probably would've went to school and study music history and theory. What if you didn't want to become a writer? What would you have done?" He played with the ends of my hair, twirling pieces in between his fingers.

     "I almost went to med school. My parents support my dreams of being a writer, but they hought it wouldn't pay off as soon as I hoped." I remember the day I applied for med school. I remember feeling guilty about filling it out, knowing it wasn't what I really wanted.

    "You would look cute in scrubs." He joked and poked my nose. He sighed, thinking for a second. "Do you think we still would've met if it weren't for Zach? Like if Zach and you didn't meet that day, would our paths still have crossed?"

     I thought for a moment. Zach really was the reason Daniel and I grew together. It just seemed like Daniel and I were so perfect for one another, if would've happened eventually.

    "Yes. Because I'm a strong believer in if it's meant to be, it'll be. And I think we fall perfectly under that." I turnt my body so that I could face him. His smile grew wider than it already was.

    "You think we're meant to be?" He asked, his voice higher than normal. I nodded and smiled at him.

     That's when I knew. Daniel was my meant to be.