chapter twenty-nine

Constant waves of nervousness rushed over me as I knocked on the door to Derek's office. Today I was going to ask if he could read my book. After 2 and a half years, I had finally finished writing it. I hesitated before even thinking about asking Derek to read it, but after Daniel let the idea slip, the boys couldn't let it go.

   "Madison, you aren't supposed to be working today?" Derek said when he opened the door.

   "Yes I know, but I actually have a question." I sat in the chair in front of his desk as he sat in his.

   "Let me guess," He leaned back in his chair, smiling at me. "You want me to read whatever you've been working on?"

   I looked at him, unable to comprehend words. My anxiety was starting to kick in. How did he know? Did all of his interns ask him This?

   "I see you typing away on your computer whenever you're on break. It was obvious you've been working on something." Derek laughed slightly and rested his elbows on his desk. "And I usually don't do this, but you've been one of the best interns we've had here in a while, and one of my mom's favorite students. So I will gladly read your manuscript."

"Really? Oh my gosh, Derek, thank you so much!" I said excitedly, placing the manuscript on his desk. He smiled back at me and flipped through the first couple of pages.

   "Of course. After the work you've put into this internship while juggling school and your home life, it's the least I could do. I'll start after my meeting and get back to you by the end of the week." Derek took the manuscript and laid it next to his computer. "Now go, it's your day off. Go have fun doing teenage stuff."

  "Thank you, Derek. I really appreciate it," I laughed and shook his hand before leaving. I smiled widely to myself and walked to the elevator. Once the doors closed, I called the first person I could think of.

   "Hello, Pretty Girl. What-" Daniel began saying.

  "He's going to read my book!" I said excitedly, cutting him off.

  As I explained what Derek had said, my heart fluttered. My grades were amazing, I had one of the best jobs, my relationship with Daniel couldn't be more amazing, and now my book was being read by a publisher.

   Things were really starting to look up for me.