chapter four

"Stacey let's be real, there's no way in hell we'd ever be able to pull that off." I laughed into the phone as I made my way to literature. Stacey and I had easily grown really close since she started working at the cafe. I learned that she is working on starting a YouTube channel, which is what we were currently talking about. She thought it would be a great idea if we stayed in a Target or Wal-Mart over night for a video.

"We may not be able to pull it off, but at least it'll be fun!" She enthusiastically said on the other side. "Just tell me you'll think about it at least?"

"Yea, sure. But for now I have to get to class, I'll text you later." I opened the door to Mrs. Laucks room as we said our goodbyes. Mrs. Laucks eyes were on me as soon as I walked in. She waved me over to her desk.

"Madison, I wanted to ask you something," She begun, fixing the glasses on her nose. "As you know, my son works for Simon and Schuster, and he is willing to offer 3 paid internships to my students. You were the first to come to my mind so I wanted you to be the first I offered it to?"

My jaw dropped as I looked at her. A paid internship at Simon and Schuster? This would be huge. Interning for one of the biggest publishing companies that could turn into a real job? And possibly getting a chance to let them see some of my writings?

"Of course, I'd love to have a chance at that!" I nodded eagerly, trying not to seem too excited. She laughed at my reaction and handed me a paper.

"Take a minute during class to fill this out and give it to me before you leave, I'll have Derek set up an interview for next week." She smiled at me reassuringly. I thanked her and walked up to my usual seat. Pulling out my phone, I texted the first person I could think of.

Daniel: You'll never guess what just happened

---

The apartment was clean when I got home and Aaron was nowhere to be seen. I sent him a quick text then set my things down in the room. I sat down in the living room, replying to Daniel's enthousiastical text messages. We had been talking a lot since the day I went to the studio. My heart swelled everytime I saw his name pop up on my phone, but I couldn't explain why. I had gotten so used to getting annoyed with Aaron texting me that I just got annoyed with every one. But for whatever reason Daniel was the only person who I impatiently waited for a response. Within minutes, the door opened and Aaron walked in with two cups from the cafe.

"Hey, Babe. I was bored so I ran down and got us some drinks. Green tea for you," He said and handed me a cup. I smiled and took a sip.

"Why are you being so nice all of a sudden?" I joked and lifted an eyebrow at him. His face dropped a bit and he set his cup down, taking my hand in his.

"Listen, I know things haven't been easy. I know I don't make them any easier. I wanted to apologize. I've been a shit boyfriend and you don't deserve that," Aaron's voice was sincere and honest, I could tell. He looked down a bit when he spoke, something he always did when he spoke up about his feelings. My heart broke at the sight, because I was really starting to think about what everyone was telling me to do.

"Aaron, you don't have to be sorry. No relationship is perfect. You're amazing and we can get through anything." I cupped his face with my hands and placed a small kiss on his lips. He smiled down at me before hugging me tightly. We stood like that for a moment, with me falling into his arms with familiar ease. "I actually have some good news, too."

Aaron pulled away and looked at me, tilting his head a bit. "Mrs. Laucks offered me a paid internship with Simon and Schuster, I should get a call about an interview in the next couple of days!"

"That's great! Only one step closer now." He poked my nose, something he always did to lighten the mood more. "Lets go out for dinner to celebrate. How about that Redbird place we've wanted to go to?"

I settled on wearing a black romper with lace detailing on the top with a pain of black heels. Aaron sat unusually quiet while we drove to the restaurant. I was confused, but figured I'd keep it to myself. It could've been nothing, maybe I was just overthinking. When we got there, the waiter sat us at a window table and took our drinks.

"I'll have an orange blossom cocktail," Aaron said to the waiter. I looked at him with wide eyes. He was only 19, he couldn't order alcohol.

"I.D. please?" The waiter said with furrowed eyebrows. Aaron pulled out his wallet and took a card out from a slot. The waiter scanned it for a moment. His eyes lifted towards Aaron before handing the card back and writing the drink down. When he walked away, my eyes darted towards Aaron.

"I cannot believe you just did that," I whispered at him. He started laughing like it was funny. "This isn't something to be laughing at, Aaron! Where did you even get a fake I.D.?"

"I know a guy. I could get you one if you want-" Aaron was still laughing, but I cut him off.

"I think you've done enough." I sighed and leaned back into my chair. From the corner of my eye, I saw the door open. The familiar brown mop of hair walked in, alongside a small blonde. His eyes trailed around the room before spotting me. He slightly nudged the girl and walked over her.

"Hey, Madison," Zach said with a smile. I hated how he was always in such a good mood. But I couldn't lie and say seeing him didn't make me feel a little better. "This is Kay, my girlfriend."

"It's so nice to finally meet you, Zach's told me so much about you!" She said sweetly. Kay looked young, like she was still in high school, but she was gorgeous. Her and Zach looked so good together, and it was clear that they made each other happy.

"I don't know if I should take that in good or bad way," I laughed as the waiter brought back our drinks. "But it's nice to meet you too, Kay." I took a sip of my drink as Zach turned towards Aaron

"And you must be Mr. Paradise!" Zach said, making me choke on my drink. They all looked at me as I tried to play it off and keep without laughing. Zach noticed me struggle to try to keep a straight face and laughed to himself. "We should get going, it was nice to see you two. I'll text you later, Madison."

Once they walked away, Aaron turned towards me and lifted an eyebrow.

"Mr. Paradise?"