chapter twenty-two

Looking at my face in the mirror, I saw Jack was right. Blue and purple started to reach the surface of my skin. It was gonna be hard to cover that up for work and school. My mind was too focused on the bruise to realise that tears were starting to leave my eyes. I still can't believe he hit me.

"Madi? Are you home?" The voice of Daniel shook me out of my thoughts.

"Yea just a sec!" I yelled back. I quickly dried my tears and calmed myself down. I walked out of the bathroom and saw Daniel at the kitchen counter, removing Chinese containers from a plastic bag.

"I stopped and picked up some food-" Daniel began before looking up at me. His face dropped and he rushed over to me, taking my face in his hands gently. "What in the world happened?"

"I went to talk to Aaron and no matter what I said was getting through to him and then he..." I couldn't finish explaining to him without breaking down more.

"He hit you?" Daniel's voice raised slightly. I couldn't say anything. I sat there speechless as Daniel grew angrier. "I'm going over there."

"Daniel, no please. I don't want to make the situation worse." I pleaded, grabbing Daniel's hand before he could turn away.

"He hit you, Madison! That instantly makes the situation worse!" I jumped at the height of his voice. His face softened and he looked away. "I just want to help."

"Trust me, I want you to help. But sometimes not doing anything is just enough help." I took his head into my hands. His ocean blue eyes were now glossy. "I'm not going back over there, it's over."

"I'm so sorry." He let out a shaky breath. He closed his eyes as a tear slipped. I pulled him close to me. "I should have went with you. I should've been there to make sure you were safe."

"No one could've guess this was gonna happen. But I'm fine, I'm okay." I said and gave him a small kiss below his ear. He pulled away and rubbed his thumb over my cheek.

"But your face," He sighed and pouted. He leaned down, placing a gentle kiss over the bruise. "You're still the most beautiful thing ever."

"And you're the sweetest thing ever." I laughed slightly. And looked into his eyes. "I love you."

"I love you." He smiled weakly and pressed his lips against mine. The kiss was quick but sweeter than ever. I could tell Daniel was tense with anger, and my thoughts were still clouded with what had happened today. "How about I stay here for the day? We can eat and watch all your favorite movies?"

"Lazy day with my boy? Wouldn't want anything more." I smiled up at him. His lips turned into a smirk.

"Who said I was your boy?" He dropped his arms from my waist and stepped back from me. I could feel my face drop from its smile, making him laugh a bit. "I'm kidding!"

"I don't like you sometimes." I playfully pushed him and went over to the food he had laid out.

"You love me." He hugged me from behind, placing kisses all over my unbruised cheek.

I really did love him.