chapter fifty-two

I can't believe they convinced me to come to this. I sighed, scanning the bodies for at least someone I knew. The boys had somehow talked me into going to one of Jake's 'legendary' parties. This one just happened to be for New Years, with only 3 hours until midnight. People were already drunk and high out of their minds and the party had just started.

   I walked outside for some air, only to see the backyard was just as crowded. How many people did this kid know? I turned to walk back inside, only to bump into someone. I looked up to see a pair of familiar
blue eyes.

   "Hey, Pretty Girl. I was just coming to look for you." Daniel smiled down at me. He held two cups, holding one out for me. I lifted my eyebrow at him. He chuckled a bit. "Don't worry, it's water."

   I was about to say something, but a guy with curly blonde hair came up and put his hands on Daniel's shoulders. I would be dumb to not know it was Logan Paul.

   "Daniel, what's up man? I haven't seen you in forever!" He said as they did that weird handshake hug thing guys do.

    "Just the usual, making music with the boys." Daniel laughed and looked over at me. "This is my girlfriend, Madison."

     "Wow, Seavey was able to get a girl?" Logan joked and looked at Daniel with a wide smirk. "It's nice to meet you, but I need to steal your boy for a minute. We need extra hands setting up tables."

    "Alright give me a sec." Daniel said before Logan ran off. He looked at me a laughed a bit. He set his cup down on the railing and handed me his phone. "I'll be right back. And then I promise I'm yours for the rest of the night."

    Daniel gave me a quick kiss before running off again. I laughed a bit and watched him, along with 3 other guys, struggle to put up the tables. Daniel's phone vibrated in my hand. I let it go and went on my own, asking Zach where he was. But his phone kept on going off repeatedly. I didn't want to check it, I didn't wanna be that girlfriend. But the vibrating was so annoying. I clicked it on to turn it on do not disturb, trying my hardest to not see any of the notifications. But one caught me eye instantly.

   Angi: i know you're here with the gf, but can you get away for a sec? i miss you:(

    I bit the inside of my cheek, trying to not get upset. But a feeling I didn't understand waved over me. I wasn't sure if it was sadness or anger or what, but my anxiety was starting to build up. My mind began to spin and I couldn't think straight. You always ruin the fun, the haunting voice said in the back of my mind. The memories of that night came back into play. A tap on my shoulder made me jump and turn around.

  "Woah, Madison. You seem a little jumpy, everything okay?" Zach laughed a bit at my reaction, clearly being sarcastic.

   "I-I think I'm gonna go." I said and shook my head, trying not to get myself worked up in front of Zach. I didn't even know what was wrong. It could've been the text, or the party, or just my anxiety rising quickly, but I knew for sure I couldn't be here any longer.

  "Wait- Did something happen? Are you okay? Have you been drinking?" Zach asked, grabbing my arm and spinning my back around.

  "Zach, I'm fine. I just need to go. I'll call you tomorrow." Zach's hand slowly fell. I handed him Daniel's phone and turnt away, pushing through the bodies of the big house and out to my car.

    When I got to my car, Daniel's name flashed on my phone screen. As much as I wanted to answer him and talk to him about it, I couldn't. She was most likely just been a friend. But in my mind, I over think the worst. And running from the problem probably wasn't the best and I might've seemed overdramatic, but I just couldn't stay there. I turned off my phone completely before driving down the crowded street.

  Now I know for sure that would be the last time I go to a party.