chapter forty-two

My mind was focused on writing my college admission essay, the only background noise being the quiet music playing through my headphones. My fingers typed away on my keyboard and I got so lost in what I was doing. My parents were gone for the night, allowing me to finally get to finish this essay in time for the admission deadline.

   "Madison!" Aaron yelled, causing me to jump a bit. I took out my headphones, spinning around in my chair. He was supposed to be st practice, but instead his eyes were blazing red and he could barley walk. Aaron had been hanging out with more guys from his club soccer team, and with that came his new found love of getting high off of everything he could.

  "Aaron, what are you doing here?" I asked, closing my laptop a bit.

   "I wanted to see you," He cooed as he walked over to me. He pet my hair and laughed to himself. 

   "I'm busy. I need to finish my essay." I went to turn around in my chair, but he grabbed my wrist, pulling me on top of him.

   "You're always busy. Let's just relax," Aaron pressed his lips to my neck, his hands sliding up my shirt. His hands pulled my shirt up, trying to take it off. I tried pushing him away but it only tightened his grip on me.

   "Aaron, get off of me." I shook out of his grip and took a few steps back from him.

  "We haven't done anything in so long, Madison. If you loved me you would-" Aaron went to say, but I cut him short.

   "Do not try to tell me that I don't love you just because I won't have sex with you right now." We argued for hours. He made nonsense comments about everything and anything, on and off topic.

   "I don't know why you're fighting with me. I'm the only person who's ever going to be able to love you and put up with you for longer than 5 minutes. Cause look, 3 years in and you're just now starting to drive me mad. I'm the only person that's ever going to love you."

    And from that day on, I believed him-

    "Madison!" A voice woke me up from my sleep. I sat up, my heart racing. I looked around and saw Daniel kneeling infront of the couch. I couldn't help but call into his arms and letting myself go. I cried into his arms as he rubbed my back. "Shh. It was just a dream, you're okay."

   "It wasn't a dream though," I managed to get out. Once I was able to calm down, I told Daniel about the reoccurring dream. He held me close to him, rubbing my back and calming down when I couldnt get the words out. "I-I don't know why, but I can't get them out of my head. It's been killing me all day. And I hate crying over it because I know it's partially my fault for staying with him for so long."

  "Nothing hurts more than being disappointed by the person you thought would never hurt you. It's okay to cry. You're the strongest girl I've ever met, but there could be some days that the hurt feelings come back and it's hard to get rid of them." Daniel whispered loud enough for me to hear. He sat with his eyes locking onto mine. "The way people treat you builds you to be who you are. And you have grown to be such an amazing person. Please don't let those memories get to you, because it hurts me knowing that you're hurting and I can't do anything to help."

  I pulled him to me, hugging him tightly. Daniel placed small kisses on my cheek and down my neck. "You being here is helpful enough. I'm an absolute mess. I don't know how you put up with me sometimes."

  "Moms always said I did a good job at cleaning up messes," Daniel laughed against my skin, sending shivers all over my body. I shook my head and laughed along, instantly feeling better as he held me close and told me everything was going to be okay, all I ever really needed.