chapter forty-eight

Daniel 

    The rest of our weekend was spent with us relaxing and just enjoying our last few days together. Because come tomorrow morning, we would be off to the airport and I'd be gone until the morning of Christmas Eve. It killed me knowing I wouldn't see her for so long. It seemed clingy, but we spent almost everyday and night together. It would be hard having to adjust to life without having her with me.

  It was nearing midnight and we laid in silence. I ran my fingers through her messy hair as she looked up at me, her eyes shining through the darkness. They were a mix of green and brown and an orange shade. She had the type of eyes you could instantly get lost in, the ones that held endless stories that you couldn't help but want to hear.

  "God, what am I going to do without you?" I sighed and rubbed her cheek with my thumb. She pouted and ran her hand down my bare chest.

   "You're going on tour, Dani. You're going to be seeing so many new places and meeting all of your fans. You're going to be okay." Her voice was soothing and reassuring, instantly making me feel a bit better.

   "I'm just going to miss you. So much." I rested my forehead against hers.

   "Trust me, you have no idea how much I'm going to miss you." She looked down, sighing with a hint of sadness. I lifted her chin up with my finger. I leaned down and kissed her lips gently. Our lips moved perfectly in sync, as they always did. I pulled her closer to me, if even possible, trying to savor the moment. Madison pulled away, her eyes flooding with sadness.

   "I love you. And I'm so proud of you. Please don't forget that while you're away."

    "I could never."

---

   When we arrived at the airport early the next morning, the boys stood outside talking to a few fans. They were so kind and welcoming to Madi, which made me beyond happy. But, however, we were rushed inside and had to be sent through security.

   "I guess this is it, Ms. Redding," Zach said and pulled Madison into a hug. She held onto him tightly, making a joke about remembering to do his classwork.

   "Don't worry, we'll make sure he reads his books and simplifies his fractions." Jack teased and pulled her into a hug. They all hugged her before slowly walking away, leaving us alone. She turned and looked at me. Her eyes flooding with tears.

   "I've been dreading this moment since you told me," She said and swiped a finger under her eye. I took her hand in mine and pulled her to me. "I'm gonna miss you so much."

   I wrapped my arms around her tightly. We didn't say anything, we just stood there and savored our last moment together. She pulled away from the hug, tears streaming down her face.

  "I promised myself I wouldn't cry." She laughed and wipped her eyes again. The sight made my eyes threaten to spill. I rubbed my thumb against her cheek, catching the tears that slipped for her eyes.

   "You're gonna make me cry." I confessed and blinked away my own tears. She pulled my head down, placing a small kiss on my forehead.

   "Have fun, okay? And call me after your show tonight?" Her voice was hushed and she looked away from me. I nodded, taking her face in my hands. I looked at her, taking her features in one last time.

    "I love you. So damn much." I said before crashing my lips into hers. I didn't care that we were in the middle of the airport and there were hundreds of people surrounding us, all I cared about was this moment with Madison. I held her close to me, taking her all in. One of the boys called my name from behind us, making us both slowly pull away. Our faces were still close together, locking our eyes.

   "Two weeks. Then we'll be together for Christmas and New Years." I reassured her. She nodded and kissed me again.

    "Now go and have fun, My Love. You're gonna kill it out there." She handed me the bag she was holding and reached up to kiss my cheek. I pulled her in for one last hug.

    "I'll see you soon, Pretty Girl." I kissed her forehead before letting go of her hand. She waved to me as I turnt around. Zach patted me on the back when I reached them.

   "The first goodbye is always the hardest. But it'll get easier, trust me." He said as we walked through the security gates, officially separating Madison and me.