chapter thirty-four

Daniel and I walked into my apartment in silence. He still hadn't really talked to me since we went back to the studio. When I asked if he was coming over for the night, all he did was nod and give me a simple 'yea, sure'. It worried me. I knew he was mad. The tension between us was usually so bare and comfortable, but now it felt like there was something between us that wouldn't allow one to reach the other.

  "Daniel," I sighed and leaned against my kitchen counter. His head hung low, but his eyes met mine. "Can we please just talk about this? Why are you so mad?"

   "Oh, I don't know. Maybe because my girlfriend wanted to go over to her abusive ex boyfriend's house?" Daniel snapped. He walked to the island and leaned forward on his elbows. "What made you think that was a good idea?"

  "I only went over there to grab the last of my things. I didn't think it was a good idea, that's why I asked you to come with me." I calmly explained. I was tired of the bickering and arguments. And I most certainly didn't want to fight with Daniel.

  "And what if I couldn't have gone? Would you have went over there by yourself? What if he did something worse than last time, Madison?" The way Daniel was speaking was so indescribable. It was something I had never heard from him before.

  "But none of that happened, Daniel-"

   "That's not the point, Madison!" Daniel's voice boomed through the apartment and the side of his fist connected with the island, causing me to flinch at the sudden noise. His face softened and he quickly came over to me. He wrapped his arms around me. "I'm so sorry, Madi. I-I didn't mean to yell like that. I was just worried and scared of what could've happened."

"Daniel nothing was going to happen," I wrapped my arms around him, falling so easily into the familiar pair of arms. "I wouldn't have gone over there if you weren't able to come. There's no way in hell I could go over there by myself. Not again."

  "The worst just gets to me sometimes. I can't help but think of the worst case scenario in situations like these." He sighed and pulled away a bit. Daniel placed a lingering kiss on my forehead.

"Promise me something," I asked, holding up my pinky. Daniel raised an eyebrow but finally answered with a nod. "No more arguments or fights. We sit down and we talk it out."  

   Daniel's lips curled to a small smile. He laced his pinky with mine, bringing it to his lips and kissing my finger. "I promise it, Pretty Girl."

   I pulled him back to me, hugging him again. I usually hated hugs, I never used to let anyone hug me, not even my best friend from high school. But Daniel's hugs gave me a feeling of security, I felt safe in his arms.

    I felt at home in his arms.