Chapter 4

Since Clark was in a "good mood", she only made us do a couple of practice jumps so that we could get our marks down. As we got our marks I watched Eli jump and I have to say I was impressed. She was jumping no less that 16 feet. We didn't actually measure them but I know it had to be at least 16, if not it was a high 15.

"Alright ladies that'll be all for today. Good work." After she said this she directed her attention to Eli and said

"Good work today. On Monday I'll get with you about what events you will be doing and so forth." Eli just smiled a cute little smile that showed her dimples and nodded. After Clark walked off I walked to the edge of the field and sat down next to my bag. I watched as Eli did the same. It was only us two because everyone else had either left or was still working on their own events.

"So how was your first day?" I asked just to make small talk as I took off my spikes.

"It was good. Everyone was really nice. I'll just have to get used to it ya know." She said untying her own shoes. I watched as she meticulously loosened each one of the laces until she could get her shoe off. She had a brace on her left ankle and for some reason I wanted to know why.

"What happened to your ankle?" I blurted out.

"You ask a lot of questions." She laughed as she worked to take it off. I could feel my ears turning red.

"Sorry." I just sort of laughed or tried to.

"No, it's okay, I like it. No one else has really talked to me all that much today. Just the normal 'nice to meet you' and that sort of stuff." I didn't say anything. It must be hard to be the new kid at a new school.

"Before I left my old school I played basketball. I was going in for a layup when this girl pushed me while I was in the air and I landed wrong. I fractured it but it's been healing up so I'm good as long as I wear the brace." As she said this she held the brace in the air a bit and waved it around. I just smiled.

"I could never play basketball. I have no coordination with my hands. I'm only good at running." I said truthfully. Something about this girl made me feel comfortable enough to say whatever popped in my head. She just laughed and went back to her laces. When we finished I got up and started walking towards the gate. I pulled out my phone and realized that today was Will's baseball scrimmage. After I thought about it for a second, I turned to Eli and said

"Hey so my boyfriend has a baseball scrimmage here tonight. Do you wanna come with me?"

"Yeah sounds fun. Let me just ask my mom real quick." After she said that she looked down at her phone and text her mom I assumed. As she did so I couldn't help but look her up and down. She was in black Nike spandex with a teal green check mark and a white dri fit tank top that had a Nike check mark in on the chest. I was staring again.

"My mom said its okay that I go." She said looking up at me and giving me a smile.

"Okay great." I smiled again. I could feel my ears burning again and I'm not sure why.

                                                                   -----------------------------------

"Come on that call was bull!" Molly screamed as she waved her arms around in the air. Eli was on the left of me and Lucy next to her. Eli, Lucy and I just laughed at how into the game Molly was. Since it was a scrimmage they weren't actually keeping score, but that didn't keep Molly from screaming like a lunatic.

"Sorry she's always like this when it comes to baseball, and just about every other sport." I apologized to Eli who just waved me off and laughed.

"It's okay it was a crap call, I just didn't want to yell. I don't need you guys thinking I'm crazy on the first day." She said.

"As long as you don't go psycho like Molly I think we'll get along just great." Lucy said pointing to Molly who was still standing up throwing a fit. After she was satisfied with her tantrum she finally sat down on the bleachers next to me.

"So how was your first day Eli?" Molly asked as if she hadn't just been screaming her head off like a crazy person. It made me laugh.

"It was pretty good. I'm having a lot more fun now though." She said as she winked at me. Weird.

"Well that's great. What lunch do you have? You can sit with us tomorrow if you have the same one." Lucy said cheerfully.

"I have first lunch." She said as she took her hair down from her pony tail.

"That's great you can sit with us tomorrow." Lucy said. After she said this I looked onto the field to see that Will was going up to bat. I could tell it was him because of the way he stood. He always stood tall with his shoulders back. Also, his number 14 was on the back of his shirt, but I know how he stands too. I was checking out my boyfriend's ass in his baseball pants when I felt someone staring at me.

"That your boyfriend?" Eli asked giving me a small smirk.

"Yeah that's Will." I said smiling. Eli just said "nice" and kept watching the game. For the remainder of the game Molly screamed at every bad call and the rest of us just laughed. Every now and then Eli would ask me questions about the game, but when she did she would get really close to me so I could hear better, and every time she did I could feel goose bumps go up and down my arms. I wondered if Lucy and Molly could see them. This girl made me act weird. I don't know how I feel about this, but as long as she can run faster than Lila I'm good.