Chapter 47

After we finished the 4x2 there was a lot of down time. All of which I had to spend with my parents. What I really wanted to do was go down under the bleachers and sleep with Eli in her hammock. I sat on the bleachers watching the runners run and the coach's coach and the gun guys shoot. To pass the time I would day dream about me and Eli. I would think about the when I would get to see her again. I have about 3 more events until I need to start warming up for the 4x4. I started thinking about Eli. The way her lips taste on mine. How soft they are against my skin. Then I started thinking about the way her hand feels when it slaps my ass, or when she grabs it and pulls me to her. I wanted her to kiss my neck. To run her fingers over my body. To kiss down my thighs, to lick me.

Fuck.

I looked around me, suddenly aware that my parents are right behind me. I felt my ears burning bright red. I slowly looked around at them as if they could hear what I was thinking. It was already starting to get dark by the time they started the hurdles. I watched as Jenny got set for the 300 hurdles. She was on her blocks waiting for the gun to blow.

"Hey isn't that your friend Jenna?" my dad asked.

"Yeah that's Jenny" I corrected.

"How come you guys aren't friends anymore?" my dad asked. Jenny and I are still friends but we don't hang out as much as we used to. She goes to the same church as us and that was really the only reason I ever talked to her or hung out with her.

"I don't know."

"Are you ready for the next race?" my mom asked as Jenny came around the finish line.

"Yeah I guess."

"Do you need anything? You haven't eaten all day." It's a really bad habit of mine that I don't really eat at track meets.

"No, I'm okay."

"Here at least drink some water."

"Okay." I drank the water and handed it back to my mom. I took my hair down from my pony tail and redid it. I had little baby hairs that kept sticking up.

"Do you want me to braid it?" I thought about it for a second. If I only show resentment towards her I was only going to prove to her that she's right. Or something like that. Also, I hate having my hair in my face.

"Yeah okay." I moved in front of my mom and took down my pony tail. I felt my mom run her fingers through my hair trying to untangle it.

"Tilt your head back a little." I lifted my head up and let my mom get to work.

"I'll be back I'm going to get another hotdog." My dad said already getting up. I was silently pleading with him not to leave me alone. I sat there in silence as my mom French braided my hair. As I thought about it I couldn't help it anymore.

"Mom."

"Yes sweetie?" ugh a pet name.

"Why do you hate Eli?" I felt my mom's hands tense up a little bit around my hair.

"Thea, I don't hate her." Her voice wasn't as soft as it had just been.

"Then why are you being like this?"

"Thea, I love you. But this is wrong, and I can't condone it."

"Mom I know you think that it's wrong and that I'm going to hell or something but I love her." My mom didn't say anything. She continued braiding my hair in silence. Right as she finished with my hair I saw Lila walking up to sit with her parents for a little bit. They had been sitting in front of us a couple rows down. I rolled my eyes and sat next to my mom. When Lila saw me she gave me a stupid little smile and walked up to my mom and I.

"So this is where you've been all day. You have a leash or something?"

"No, I just knew I wouldn't have to deal with you if I was over here. Guess I was wrong."

"Hi Mrs. Grant."

"Hello Lila." My mom knows Lila and I aren't friends.

"Hey Thea have you seen Eli? I haven't seen her since she scratched this morning."

"No, I haven't. I've been here." God she is such a bitch.

"Geez I thought you guys were dating, I figured you'd know where she was. Or at least care enough to find out."

"Well it was nice seeing you Lila." This was my mother's phrase for you're done here, go away.

"It was nice seeing you too." Lila smirked and walked off. I looked at my mom and gave her a thankful look.

"Why do you choose to put up with this?" My mom asked. She didn't ask it angrily or matter of factly. She said it with love and concern.

"Because there's nothing she can say that would ever make me not want to be with Eli. There's nothing she can do that would make me feel bad about how I feel when I'm with Eli." For the first time in days my mom seemed to recognize me. She looked at me like I was her daughter again. It made me want to start crying. I must have made a face because my mom's eyes softened even more. She put her hand on my cheek and looked at me.

"You better get ready for your next run." I nodded my head and stood up. I was about to walk off but I turned around and gave my mom a hug.

"Thank you for braiding my hair." I grabbed my spike bag and walked down the bleachers. I don't know what she's thinking but its progress. Something is better than nothing.

When I walked down to the field I started to get my spikes out of my bag and take my shoes off. I was sitting on the turf leaning back on my arms with my legs stretched out in front of me when I felt someone cover my eyes from behind.

"Guess who." I pulled Eli's hands off of me and turned around.

"You're such a dork." I laughed as Molly and Lucy walked up to us.

"You guys ready to run this?"

"No, I don't want to run. I'm tired already." Eli moaned as she laid down and put her head in my lap. There were a lot of people on the field so I knew my mom couldn't see us.

"You better get ready, you're our anchor." Lucy laughed.

"Maybe a kiss will make me feel better." Eli laughed. I looked down at her and shook my head.

"You heard her Lucy. Go ahead." I nodded my head towards Lucy. Molly was sitting there laughing. Eli sat up and started leaning in towards Lucy. Lucy looked like she was in shock. Eli kept getting closer and it didn't look like she was going to stop. I grabbed her pony tail and brought her back to me.

"No." I pulled her back and then kissed her on the lips in front of everyone. I didn't care. I felt Eli's lips on mine, they felt and tasted the exact same way I was dreaming about earlier.

"Would you two get a room." I heard behind me. I turned around to see Will standing there. 

"Hey what're you doing here?" I stood up letting Eli, who was leaning on me, fall over a bit.

"I came to see the last race." I gave him a hug and then pulled back.

"So, are things better with your mom?" I looked down at Eli who was propping herself up on her elbows talking to the girls.

"No but she can't see from here so yeah. What about you how has baseball been?"

"It's great. We are 6-0 so far. You guys should come to the game Friday."

"Yeah for sure. We won't miss it." I paused when I realized. "I will definitely be there if I'm not still grounded." Will just sort of laughed and ran his fingers through his hair. Before he could say anything else they made an announcement for all 4x4 runners to go to the starting line. I looked back at Will and gave him a hug.

"I'm glad you're here." Will hugged me back and said

"Me too. Now go win your race." I smiled at him and turned around to grab Eli's hand because she was extending it towards me. We are going to win. I can feel it.