Chapter 16

As we warmed up for the 4x4 I tried to focus on the race. I tried to focus on anything but Eli. She was stretching and I couldn't help but stare. Molly kept hitting me. When we finally got lined up for the race I watched as Lucy got on her blocks to starts. I held my breath as the gun guy said "on your mark, set, shoot". I couldn't watch. I just jumped around until I saw Lucy hand off to Molly. Okay were fine. Molly does great in the 400. It's her favorite race. I jumped around more. I could feel Eli watching me. I looked down the track and saw Molly running down. There was one girl who was giving her a little bit of trouble. I got on the track and got ready to run. Right before the girl could pass her Molly kicked off and got a little bit of a lead before she handed it off to me. I took off and tried to get my pace. I was a good way ahead of the of the other two girls. I passed 200 yards and I started to feel my legs burning. My chest felt like it was on fire. God, I hate the 400. Last 100 yards. I kicked it in gear and ran for Eli. I heard a girl coming up on my left. I kept running. I focused on Eli and just ran for her. I focused on her and I just ran. I put all other thoughts out of my head and focused on her. As I ran up to her she took her lead and I handed her the baton. As she grabbed it she smiled at me, turned around and ran. I got off the track and collapsed on the ground. Molly and Lucy just watched me and then stood up to watch Eli. I stood up hoping and praying my ass wouldn't cramp. I watched as Eli ran. Her strides were so long and her form was so graceful. I was in awe. I watched as she came around the curve. She ran the last 100 yards with no competition. She was amazing.

After the boys ran their 4x4 Clark told us to get our shit from camp and put all the mats in the bus. Since Will had brought his own truck he would be driving back. He offered to take me home but you have to have a parent sign you out and he wasn't a parent. He helped the boys put the mats and everything else in the bus. I walked to the front of the bus with Will in tow. I was already one step up on the bus when Will pulled me arm a bit and pulled me in for a kiss. I turned my cheek and said

"Babe not in front of everyone. They're already all on the bus." He just nodded and gave me another kiss on the cheek. It was already 7 o'clock and the sun was going down. I walked onto the bus and saw Eli sitting in the back of the bus on the right. I walked straight for her and sat down next to her. Since a lot of people had already left with their parents the bus was nearly empty. I said down next to Eli and waited for Clark to do a head count and for us to leave. As soon as the driver turned the lights out and it was completely dark I turned to Eli, put my hands on her face and pulled her to me. At first, she didn't know what to do, and I could tell because her lips were still. But soon she started to move her lips in sync with mine. I felt her slide her hand down my side and to grabbed my ass. As we were making out I pushed Eli up against the window just a bit, but right as I did the driver hit a bump and Eli's head slammed into the window. It made a loud noise and Eli screamed

"Fuck." From the other side of the bus I heard Clark say

"Language." I just started laughing and so did Eli. Even in the dark I could still see her burning yellow eyes. I loved them.

"I'm sorry." She mumbled. I gave her a confused look, but then remembered what she was referring to.

"It's okay. It doesn't matter." She took a breath like she was going to say something but decided against it. Instead she leaned in towards me and gave me a kiss on the lips. She tasted salty but I'm sure I did too. We had been running all day and had been in the sun. I didn't care though. I loved the way she kissed me. She pulled back a second later and just smiled. I rested my head on her shoulder; we rode like that the rest of the way home.

                                                                  ---------------------------------------

As I sat through my boring class the next day, I kept thinking about Eli and the bus. I pulled out and started texting her.

Hi She text back a few seconds later

Hey stranger

How's class

Boring as hell. Wbu Thea

Same as you

Wanna play a game? I debated on whether or not I wanted to play her game. Either way I still said

Um yeah sure. What game?

Truth or truth. You go first

Alright truth lol

Am I the first girl you've ever messed around with? I didn't like where this was going but I went along anyways.

Yes. My turn. What's your favorite color? What I don't want to seem like I'm too anxious to know things.

Red. What's yours?

You can't ask my question, but blue.

Okay fine I'll play by the rules. What's your favorite thing to do?

Run. I could already see her rolling her eyes. But I wasn't about to tell her my favorite thing to do was make out with her.

Should have known. Your turn.

How many girls have you been with.

3

What were they like?

Hold on you have to wait your turn. ;). This time I was the one who rolled my eyes.

Do you like me? When I saw the text I nearly threw my phone. I could feel my heart beating out of my chest. A couple seconds later I felt my phone buzz again.

Actually, don't answer. Let's go out tonight. Movie date.... This text was followed by

Friend date* ;)

I looked around the room as if everyone knew I wanted to go on a date with this girl. Against all my better judgements I text her back.

Okay.

I waited about 15 more minutes for her to text back; he read it 3 minutes after I sent it. I felt like I was going to implode. She asked me, I said okay. Why the fuck isn't she texting back. I'm going to have a panic attack. I ran my hand through my hair and I could feel my heart beating out of my chest. I put my head back on the desk and tried to breathe. When the bell rang I nearly jumped out of my desk. How the hell did I get in this situation?!