Chapter 51

I drove to Thea's house worrying about her the entire time. I know she has to be safe, right? But if she didn't come to my house then where would she go? As I rounded the corner of Thea's street I had to drive past her house and park at the neighbors because there were so many other cars parked outside. They must have gone all out for her party. As I got out of the car and walked to the door I couldn't help but feel nervous, I was purposefully not invited but here I am. I didn't even bother to knock, I just turned the knob and walked into the house. When I walked in the first person I ran into was Will.

"Hey Eli I didn't know you were coming." He didn't say it condescendingly or rudely. He said it like he was actually happy that I came.

"Uh yeah," I get the feeling no one's knows Thea took off.

"Have you seen Molly and Lucy?" I asked him

"Uh I think they're in the kitchen with Thea's parents."

"Okay thanks. I'll see you later." He smiled as he walked back to a girl who looked really familiar but I couldn't place it. She smiled and waved to me, so I awkwardly did the same back to her. I waded through the crowd trying to get to the kitchen but people kept stopping me and saying hi and whatnot. Even Lila said hi to me, which was weird. I finally got to the kitchen a couple minutes later. When I walked in Lucy, Molly, and Thea's parents were standing around the island counter talking. The look in Mrs. Grants eyes made my level of worrying triple. I walked up to them, set my keys and phone on the counter and waited.

"You haven't seen her today?" Mrs. Grant asked me. Her voice was soft and filled with concern.

"No, she didn't come by my house, but my mom said she would call me if she stopped by." Mrs. Grant nodded her head and looked down at the counter.

"I'm sure she's fine. She's probably just hanging out somewhere trying to figure everything out." As Lucy said this Thea's parents looked at each other and gave a sad look. I felt awkward for being here. If I weren't here, if I'd just left Thea alone she would be having a great time with her friends and family right now.

"Alright well does anyone have any idea's on where she might be?" Mr. Grant asked

"I have a couple." I said running my hands through my hair.

"David you and the girls stay here and keep our guests entertained. I'm going with Eli to find Thea." At this I felt my heart start pumping out of my chest and my ears start to burn. Why the hell does that keep happening.

"Uh yeah let's go." I stuttered, which is weird because I don't stutter. I'm a smart mouth, words flow smoothly. Guess not today. I grabbed my keys and phone off of the counter and watched as Mrs. Grant walked in front of me. We waded through the crowd trying not to make it obvious that we were in this horribly awkward situation. Whenever someone would ask where we were going Mrs. Grant would just say we were making an ice run. I was trying to keep my head down so that people wouldn't stop me and try to talk to me, it didn't work. I got stopped about 3 times trying to leave, I would just say I had to go with Mrs. Grant for an ice run and they would say okay and start talking to someone else. When we got out the door and were finally in my jeep I felt a whole new level of uncomfortable. Mrs. Grant still looked worried, but there was something else in her eyes. Guilt maybe?

"So where do you want to check first?"

"I figured she would go to the track."

"That's smart." I didn't tell her that she might be there because that's where we ended our first date. I made a u turn and started for the track. It only took a couple minutes to get there but they were very painful. When we got to the track I drove to the ticket booth that is right in front of the bathrooms. Since it's a weekend they locked the gates to the main entrance. I put the car in park and was already walking to the gate, then I saw Mrs. Grant give me a confused look.

"The front gates are locked so I'm going to jump the fence."

"Okay but please be careful Eli. Didn't you just get your cast off?" I nodded my head and started up the gate. When I got up on the roof of the bathrooms, I jumped down and looked at Thea's mom through the gate.

"I'll be right back." I don't know why but I felt the need to speak to her. Like somehow it would make her see me as the person she used to know and not the girl that ruined her daughter. I checked inside the bathrooms first. She wasn't there, so I ran outside and to the track. I looked up and down the bleacher trying to see if I could see her. I ran to the other side of the track and looked behind those bleachers to make sure. She wasn't there. Where the hell is she.

I walked back to the other side of the track and back to the bathrooms. Thea's mom gave me a sad look, and it broke me. I felt this surge of sadness and regret take over me. It took all I had in me not to start crying then and there. I climbed up the fence, jumped onto the roof, then onto the ticket booth roof and back down to the ground. We got back in my jeep and sat there in silence for a couple minutes.

"Maybe she went to that coffee shop she likes?" Mrs. Grant said.

"Yeah we can go see." I started the car and started for the coffee shop. The drive to the coffee shop was quiet still but it didn't feel as awkward as the ride to the track. As I pulled up to the coffee shop I saw a silver car that looked sort of liked Thea's. I'm not going to lie I started getting my hopes up, but then I realized that the license plate wasn't hers. And no, knowing my girlfriends license plate number does not make me a stalker. I pulled into a parking space and got down. I had told Thea's mom that she could stay in the car, so she did. When I walked into the store I felt my heart sink. Why can't I find her?

"She wasn't here?" Mrs. Grant asked when I got back in the car.

"No. I'm sorry." I rested my head on the steering wheel and tried to think. For some reason I felt like I was about to break down. I can't find her, I need to find her. I picked my head up when I felt a hand on my shoulder.

"I'm sure she's fine." I just shook my head.

"I'm sorry." I said.

"If I hadn't met Thea none of this would be happening. I'm sorry." I didn't look at her. The words just fell out of my mouth.

"I love Thea, and I know... I know she... I know how she feels about you. I didn't handle any of this correctly. I don't know if there is a right way to handle this, but I know I didn't handle it correctly. I just want what's best for her, and I... I didn't realize it was you."

"I didn't mean for any of this to happen. I hate that this happened but I understand why it did. I know it's been hard for you and Mr. Grant, but I really do love her. I'd do anything for her."

"After the breakup with Will I couldn't understand why Thea still seemed so happy. She seemed happier than she ever was with Will." I didn't know what to say. I felt like my heart was going to beat out of my chest. I didn't say anything I just stared at the entrance to the coffee shop.

"Do you have any idea's where else she might be?"

"I have one more idea."