Photograph

Baekhyun stared at the newspaper clipping, he had lost count the amount of times he had stared at it. His sole focus was the man in the clipping.  He would recognise those broad shoulders, that signature Sable hair styled to perfection, and those  deep obsidian eyes anywhere. He hated, and yet loved how still to this day Park Chanyeol still caused his heart to race, and his stomach to ache  in need.

He wasn't sure how he felt about the clipping, no matter how many times he stared at the wording, it wouldn't change. Chanyeol was getting a divorce!

His heart had broken 5 years ago, when he learned that Chanyeol was getting married, not just married, but married to Maria Kim, the model and socialite daughter, of a powerful government minister, also happened to be one of Chanyeol's childhood friends! Back then the news of the marriage had been a slap in his face! He and Chanyeol has been fighting for weeks, and hadn't been intimate for just as long. Those final weeks before the news hit, had been nothing but constant fights. All Baekhyun wanted was to announce to the world that he was in love. Chanyeol however had always insisted on keeping their relationship secret? It was in fact Chanyeols idea to keep their relationship secret  from the very start! He was afraid, he would be accused of taking advantage of the then 21 year old student who was 10 years younger then himself. Baekhyun knew as well that Chanyeol was under immense pressure both to start settling down, and at work as he wanted to prove himself at the family company.

Baekhyun hated feeling like a dirty secret, it was the main topic of their arguments. Their last, being their most epic, he accusing Chanyeol of being elitist,  and too concerned with peer pressure and wanting to remain the golden boy as it were. Chanyeol had thrown equally harsh words about  immaturities and lack of responsibility. It had ended with Baekhyun's own mighty temper demanding that he leave and not come back.

3 days later, news broke out about at the Park and Kim wedding, and that  the couple were starting Married life in America due to Maria's work commitments. Baekhyun hadn't wanted to believe it,  he didn't want to believe Chanyeol would just cast their 18 month relationship aside?   he blamed himself for being immature. he tried to talk to Chanyeol by turning up at his home the day of the news, but the  house was empty. As no one knew about their love, Baekhyun couldn't even ask Sehun anything.

He assumed foolishly, that Chanyeol would respond to the emails he sent and would reach out, even if was just to confirm their relationship was over. He thought wrong, all he got for his efforts was radio silence!  He did consider setting up a google alert, but that crashed and burned,  once he saw a photo of the couple looking very much happily married and in love. He decided against setting up  the alert,  knowing his fragile heart wouldn't take watching the man he loved with some one else.

He instead threw him self into his only remaining love, his parents art gallery. This bought out more sadness, his mama had died when he was young,  so his memories of her  were vague and fleeting, relying on photos to preserve her in his memory. To add to his grief he had also lost his father, to a drunk driver this last year, he would of gone completely off the rails had Jongdae and Sehun not stepped in.

Shaking himself off, and placing the photo back in his locked desk draw, Baekhyun knew he needed to focus. The gallery his parents had always cherished was now his main priority. He had  worked hard networking since his fathers death, and was proud of what was about to happen, and only wished his parents were alive to see it. Byun Gallery was preparing for its biggest exhibit to date, they were the only gallery in northern Asia to secure the  Tutankhamun exhibit, the exhibit finally placing his gallery in the big leagues. So a trip down memory lane, and wallowing in self pity was not an option.

Steeling himself for a busy day, he pushed his melancholy away. His first order of business coffee, he grabs his phone and dials his assistant. Honestly he be lost with out him Jongdae, both he and Sehun had been pillars of strength when his life fell apart.  It took one ring for Jongdae to answer "I thought we agreed, you would limit your hours to that of a normal human, and at least leave once you lock up. Seriously why are you alive at this hour" Baekhyun winces at his shrill tone, and can almost picture it, Jongdae in his office,  roaring like a dinosaur as he checks the employee logging system as his boss once again completes  a 12 hour shift. "Chen, it's like 11am, some of us have people's pay cheques to think about. Plus i was on a conference call with lake productions in America,  about those black and white tattoo, portraits, I think they have an edge" a minute silence before he hears Chen respond " they will certainly have an edge if you use the blue display room, now I assume your on way"  "Yes now tell me your coffee order before I change my mind"
"Fine I will have an cappuccino, just so you know I know the real reason behind the long shift and have seen the article, and have also heard Sandra'svoicemail,  about  the dinner she is hosting in 3 weeks, now don't get mad I posted your acceptance to her assistant." " I really am beginning to rethink, hiring you" " shut up you love me, let's face it without me, you wouldn't know your ass from your elbow. Besides it's Fun watching Sandra fuss over you, and Sehun pout and whine about how he turns invisible in your presence. Now go bring my coffee, and we can brainstorm staging the Tut exhibit.

Baekhyun chuckles as he hears his phone disconnect,   Shakes his  head " demanding diva" and heads out. That ache in his heart, which he was successfully unable to tamper down, remains heavy. This was just another painful reminder of his hurt, Chanyeol and Sehun's parents had always treated him like one of their own, so could never understand why Chanyeol felt like he did.  " I have got to stop pinning for a man, who has made clear doesn't want me" He says out loud like an affirmation, refusing to give the man, he was slowly starting to resent any more of his time. He headed off too Starbucks, as he couldn't face any of Jongdae's high pitched whining today.

Groaning at the always massive line of people waiting in Starbucks, he pulls his phone to review his schedule, when his phone announces an incoming call from Sehun, he smiles "I'm beginning to think you and Chen are conspiring against me" smiling as he can guarantee Sehun is pouting "please  you know you can never deny my mother anything. That's not why I am calling, Dinner Tuesday night my place at 8! I will drag you out of the gallery if I need to" Baekhyun groans internally, knowing full well Sehun would follow through with his threat, as much as he tried, he was no match for his freakishly tall best friend "I'm in it will be nice to relax and will bring the wine, please for the love of god,  don't try to flambé anything again." " I have learned my lesson I'm
thinking hot pot"' "great sounds perfect, I better go, you know how Chen gets with out his caffeine." "Indeed I do, best not be long" Baekhyun terminates the call, coffee in hand heads off too his gallery to save his staff from Jongdae.

Meanwhile 2 different phones chime with the same text.  Beak's is in. Be at mine for 7.