Chapter 6

The Lexno building was in need of repair before anyone could come back to work. I stood outside with Dakota, looking over the plans to fixing and upgrading not only the outside, but inside as well. Now that the storms were gone, it was overly hot with the sun beating down on us. Yet Dakota seemed unfazed by the unrelenting heat even though he was wearing a three piece suit.

When we were done we went to the Lamborghini and he opened the passenger door for me. I got in before he did. "Before we go have lunch, we need to go to Colita Music Hall," he told me. I felt so excited then. I loved music. I loved the way a simple note could convey so many emotions. A song could so easily make one cry or bring them to their knees. It was a sweet escape and release.

We went inside and I looked around at the many photos of great musicians who once graced this hall with their gifts. We went in as an orchestra was practicing. We stood there and I noticed the violinist was Marcis Volure, a man I hoped would one day be choked to death by his violin strings while someone shoved his bow up his ass. "You don't seem to be happy anymore," Dakota whispered in my ear, sending shivers down my spine. "Marcis Volure, world's biggest asshat on the planet. When I went to Nolen Academy, he and I were always butting heads. He hated that I was better than him. However, he was the one who became famous due to my need to be independent and not rely on mommy and daddy to get me concerts as often as possible to get my talent world known."

He chuckled softly, "This is going to be interesting. You see, I have come to inform him if he can't get this piece right, we will have to find another lead violinist." I smiled in delight, "You don't say?" I then listened to the piece he tried to play. The director finally stopped it and told the others to take a break.

We then moved to the stage and Dakota assisted me up the stairs in the stilettos I had chosen to wear. Marcis glared when he saw me, "Come to rub it into my nose that I can't perform a piece you mastered at the age of thirteen?" I smiled, "And which piece is that Marcis?" I had purposely mispronounced his name to rile him up. "Damn it Lydia," he said while taking a step forward, pointing his bow at me. Dakota took a threatening step forward, "I would watch myself if I were you Mr. Volure. Not only is Ms. McGarth my assistant, but she's a very close friend of mine." Marcis's eyes widened and he stepped back. Dakota also took a step back but the tension didn't leave him. I moved so my arm brushed against his softly and he relaxed only slightly. By maybe a tiny fraction. If it could be considered that. But I did sense it.

"I came to discuss with you about how I can no longer push back the orchestra. It's a fundraiser, one that is very important especially now that we have the storms past us. I need you to master the piece or I will have to find another violinist," Dakota told him. Marcis gestured to me, "Is that why you brought her here? To drive that point home, telling me she will take my place?"

"No. I had no idea of your past with her until now," Dakota admitted to him. "Besides, I'd rather play privately for you instead," I said while looking over at Dakota. He gave me a soft smile and a nod, "As would I." I then looked back at Marcis, "If you'd like though, I can demonstrate how I was taught to play."

His jaw clenched but I saw him swallow his pride and held out his bow and violin. I took it and moved a little away from Dakota so I could move without bumping him. I then closed my eyes as I began to play the piece by muscle memory. I continued to play until it ended. When I opened my eyes I noticed everyone watching at me with awe. Dakota, for once, seemed to be at a loss for words. I held out the violin, "The piece was written to celebrate the composer's happiness of his new born child. I dont know that kind of happiness, but when I play it makes me incredibly happy which is something I am able to project out to those who hear it. When you play, you lack emotion. You don't have to be some robot, just let your emotions fuel your music. Once upon a time, your music was beautiful because you once used feeling into. Until your mother hired Mrs. Klosgove, then all emotions left your music, making it dull. Liven up a bit Marcis," I explained as I passed him back his instrument.