Chapter 22

Dakota's POV

I woke up to the faint sound of a piano being played. I made my way down the stairs quietly, then stopped at the bottom of them when I saw the breath taking sight of Lydia playing Fireflies by Owlcity. She had a bright smile on her face as she played. Frost was chewing on a toy by the bench, but stopped when she noticed me. When Lydia finished the song, she smiled at the piano keys softly. I walked over to her and she then turned that breath taking smile towards me. Had I died right then and there, I would've died the happiest man in the world. "Thank you so much for this," She told me. I kissed her softly, "You don't have to thank me baby girl." I went to kiss her again but a soft groan coming from my hung over brother stopped me. I watched as he made his way to the coffee pot.

I crossed my arms as I looked at him, "So do you want to tell us what happened last night?" He only grumbled as a reply while he waited for the coffee to be ready. I went over to the kitchen island and sat down on one of the bar stools as I waited for some kind of explanation from him. Dylan's eyes glanced over to Lydia, as if not wanting to talk with her here. "I'm gonna call Chelsea to see when she wants to go dress shopping for her party," Lydia said, getting the hint loud and clear. She went up the stairs and he looked at me. "This is her home too and she deserves an explanation as to why you came home the way you did last night," I told him. He scoffed and I raised an eyebrow at him. "Don't pull your dominant side on me," He told me. "Save that for your bedroom." "I don't know what has gotten into you, but you better snap out of it," I warned him. He sighed and ran a hand through his hair, "What all did I even say last night?" "Well for one, you were going to spill our pasts to each other for us, then you listed that you have a stalker who doesn't understand you're gay, that our sister was arrested again, that Cody is stalking Lydia, that our father has gotten us in trouble with the mafia and mob, and that you were mourning the loss of your relationship because the man you thought was perfect had cheated on you," I summed up simply. "Then when I went to help you to your room, you tried to punch me, failing miserably since you were so drunk. As I carried you to your room, you puked on me." He ran a hand through his hair with a sigh, "I didn't want you to find out that way that I was gay." I shrugged, "I don't care who you date. That's your life. I do care how you come home and try to announce my girlfriend's past to the world as well as mine. You see, we told each other about what happened because we felt we were ready. They are very private and traumatic parts of our past, and the fact you were going to just throw it all out there carelessly royally pisses me off. I get you're hurt, but that is no excuse to hurt others to try and make yourself feel better."

He looked at me with guilt deep in his eyes, "I'm sorry Dakota." I held my hand up, stopping him from saying more, "I'm not the one you need to apologize too. Lydia is the one you need to apologize too. You were very harsh with her when she has done nothing to deserve it." "I don't like her Dakota," He confessed to me. My eyebrows raised, "And why is that?" "Because she seems too good," He told me. "I feel it's just an act with her." I shook my head, "What makes you think it's an act?" "How does someone go from being so damaged that they are living with their friend because they can't keep a stable job to nailing an awesome job, to living with her boss who then becomes her boyfriend, and then is now part owner of your company all in a matter of months," He asked me with a shake of his head. "I see how you look at her man. You see her as your everything. I'm just scared you're going to get hurt."

I sighed and shook my head, "You don't know everything Dylan. You don't about the nights we've held each other when one of us has a nightmare. You don't know about the times she has come to me to simply talk. You don't know about the amount of times I've argued with her over using my money instead of hers. You haven't been there when she has told mom off, defending our relationship. You haven't been there for any of that. You see the amount of time and major things that have happened between us, yet you haven't seen any of the small moments that matter so much. Did you know that when she found out Selena was pregnant not once did she think of leaving me?" I asked him. "Instead she was thinking about how she was too damaged to try and be the mother of my child, but she was still going to try because Selena will be signing her rights over, and Lydia wants my child to have a mother, whether she and I are together or not. She isn't after my money like most of my exes. She isn't after my company either. She wants my time and loyalty. She wants me. Isn't trying to make me into something I'm not. Instead she is wanting to support me. You can't fake any of the things she's done for me. She's my blessing, and I refuse to sit here while you doubt her." I then sighed, "I appreciate that you're looking out for me, but don't write off the one woman who wants me for who I am so easily. I know in our life we have run into so many who are fake, but there are good ones out there."

He was silent as he poured himself a cup of coffee. "How do I apologize to her," He asked me softly. "That is something you're gonna have to figure out on your own. Just a hint, keep it simple," I told him before standing up. "Now if you'll excuse me, I have to ensure she knows to allow me to pay for her dress for the masquerade party." I went up the stairs and saw her laying in my bed with Frost. "How did it go," She asked me. "He apologized, but I informed him that he must apologize to you," I replied. I scratched Frost behind her ears, causing her tail to wag. "So when are you and Chelsea going shopping," I asked her. "This Saturday. Her party is in two weeks," She answered as she crossed her arms. "You're only asking to make sure I use your card." "Guilty," I told her. "And if I don't," She challenged with a raised eyebrow. I smirked, "I will gladly punish you." She eyes widened a little and I noticed her thighs clenched together. I kissed her softly, "And if you don't put up a fuss, I will reward you for it. Understand?" She bit her lip as she nodded, "Yes Master." "Good girl," I said, causing a light blush to decorate her cheeks. I kissed her again before getting ready to face the day.