Chapter 13

All day Dakota interviewed body guards for not just myself and him, but also wanted to find ways to increase security here. While he did that, I worked at finding who has been stealing his money besides Selena. I left IT and waited for the elevator. When it opened up, my heart dropped into my stomach at the sight of Selena. I did not want to deal with this right now.

I stepped on to the elevator and saw the button for Dakota's office was already lit up. "He's busy having interviews today," I told her. "He set time aside for me. Granted it's only five minutes in front of his office but he knows I'm coming," she told me. I wonder what was so important she had to see him.

He was waiting beside my desk when we got there. He gave her a cold glare, "Now is really not the time Selena." I couldn't agree more, I thought. She pulled some papers out of her purse and held them out to him, "I'm pregnant." I nearly stumbled and fell on my way to my desk.

He snatched the papers from her, "You said you were on the pill." "I am, but even the doctor said it isn't entirely full proof," she told him crossing her arms as he read the papers. "And what makes you think its mine," he asked her.

"Because, unlike you, I was faithful," She told him. "I was having mind blowing sex with you and I had your money. I didn't need anyone else." That was cold and bitchy, but I could tell she wasn't lying. Dakota seemed to believe her too. He ran a hand down his face, "I really don't need this shit right now." She crossed her arms, "If you don't want it, let me know and I'll abort it."

My blood froze and Dakota gave her a look that promised death, "Don't you dare. Our lawyers will discuss my contract. Until then, I ask you keep it quiet for your safety." Her jaw dropped, "A contract?! You wont be with me?" He scoffed, "Of course not. I see no point in marrying you. Yeah you're having my child, but the child was an accident that neither of us planned. I am in a relationship that makes me happy, I'm not just gonna throw that away. Plus from the sound of it, you don't want it anyways. I'll pay for your health care, ensure you see the best doctors, but once the baby is here, you'll be given a healthy amount of money and be sent on your way. After all, money is what you came here for isn't it?"

Her jaw clenched and it was clear she hated that he read right through her. He nodded, "Thought so. We'll be in contact." His dismissal was cold and quick, and I knew why. He needed time to deal with this. She left us in an intense silence. "I...." he said softly. I went to touch him, but he shook his head. "I'm sorry Lydia, I just need to be alone," he whispered, his voice filled with confusion and pain. He left and I felt my heart clench in pain.

I sat down at my desk and decided to just work, hoping he came back. When a man wearing a tight black shirt, bulging muscles, a military crew cut, and dark chocolate skin I felt the hair on my arms raise. "Lydia McGarth?" He asked, his voice having a New Jersey accent. I nodded, "That's me. Can I help you?" He held out his hand, "I'm Richie Valentino, Mr. Lester hired me to be your body guard and driver for when he is unavailable."

I shook his hand, "It's good to meet you Richie. I take it he isn't taking me home tonight?" He nodded, "He informed me he will be out late tonight." I nodded, "Wish he would have informed me." I waved a hand with a sigh, "Given the shit he's having to deal with, I'm just gonna let it slide this one time." First two crime organizations thanks to his dad, and now a baby.

I looked down at the papers in front of me. I needed to figure out this shit to give him one less thing to deal with. "Did he give you any specific instructions?" I asked him. He nodded, "Just to make sure you use the card he provided when paying for things instead of your own." I rolled my eyes as I smiled softly, "Of course he did."

I worked for a couple of more hours before leaving. I decided to have Richie take me back to the mansion. "So tell me about yourself Richie. And before you go into your professional history about being military and such, I don't really care for those details. I want to know my body guard. If that makes sense," I told him as he drove. He nodded, "It makes perfect sense. You've probably already realized, I'm from New Jersey. I grew up in an orphanage and when I graduated high school, I joined the army. Thanks to the army I was able to go to MIT."