Chapter 14

The next day, word had spread about Selena's pregnancy and Dakota was furious since he told her to keep it quiet. He wanted to keep it quiet for her safety, but she didn't listen, wanting to be all over the media. Idiots with cameras were waiting outside, wanting to get Dakota to say something, but he was too furious. He pulled his phone out and sent a quick text as we made our way to the elevator. "Damn it all to hell that woman just loves to be the center of attention," He grumbled softly. When we got to our floor, I looked at my desk and I knew something was off. Dakota was too wrapped up in his thoughts and didn't notice. He went to his office and I went to my desk. My chair felt warm, meaning someone had been sitting there. I then looked through my drawers and saw the papers I had for my investigation on the missing money, were gone. Luckily for me, I had digital copies on a flash drive.

"Everything okay," Richie asked me. "Someone is on to me that I'm digging into someone stealing money from Dakota," I whispered to him despite Dakota was in his office and it was sound proof. I then pulled up the security footage and saw it was Mr. Holeston, the head of accounting. "Caught him," I said. "Now what do you plan to do," Richie asked me. "I'm gonna send him an email, saying Mr. Lester needs to have a meeting with him to discuss finances for the Beltmore project in the conference room at noon," I told him. "By then, he'll feel confident that I don't know he had been at my desk, cleaning out my files and notes."

He nodded, "Just tell me what to do." I nodded and uploaded the footage on my tablet before going into Dakota's office. "Do you need something baby girl," He asked me. I handed him my tablet, "We caught the one who's been stealing from you." He took the tablet and pressed play. "It makes sense. He's been with the company for so long and he is in the perfect position to be able to do it undetected. I sent him an email saying at noon to meet you in the conference room to  go over the finances for the Beltmore project."

His jaw clenched, "I'm so fucking tired of people steeling from me." He then sighed as he handed me the tablet, "Get me all the proof I need to have his ass thrown in jail." "I don't have it entirely linked to him. Unless we can get him to confess it when the two of you meet. Richie is putting recording device that captures sound and video as we speak. Once he gets it, he'll take the file of all of my notes, along with the footage of him at my desk, as well as his confession and take it to the police station."

"How do you expect us to get him to confess it," He asked me. I smiled, "Just follow my lead on that part." He returned my smile, but it didn't reach his eyes. I knew once this was over, I was gonna have to help him get over it.

When noon came Mr. Holeston came into the conference room confidently. He shook Dakota's hand, and I admired Dakota's ability to keep from lashing out. He stayed calm and cool as he greeted the man. He then introduced us. Mr. Holeston let his eyes travel over me and I felt disgusted. Dakota let his hands clench for a second in anger, but he then reigned in his anger.

"Can I get either of you anything to drink," I asked them. "I'm good," Dakota said to me while keeping his eyes on Mr. Holeston. "Water please," Mr. Holeston replied. I brought him a glass of water then shut and locked the door before taking a seat next to Dakota.

Dakota typed on his laptop and pulled up the footage of Mr. Holeston at my computer and he began to choke on his water. He sat down the glass, as he got over his coughing fit. "What are you doing at her desk?" Dakota asked him. "You weren't in and I needed a form she had." He lied to us. "You usually don't come in until nine, after we come in." Dakota countered.

He began to sweat and I smirked. "Did you think I was some dumb blonde who only worked for Mr. Lester to get into his pants?" I scoffed as I shook my head, "Sorry to disappoint you Mr. Holeston, but I'm a computer nerd who found your hidden trail." He paled then and I felt like laughing. "You're busted, we just want to know why you did it."