Chapter Six

Word Count: 1828

~Luella

"I'm sorry ma'am, I can't help you."

Balancing my phone between my shoulder and my cheek, I scramble around the living room for my keys. I wouldn't say it's my fault that I lose my keys so often, I just lose my train of thought of easily...thought. I'm trying to find my keys so I can find this damned immortal that has been plaguing my mind so often. He has to, in some way, be responsible for this.

"Then put me on the phone with someone who can," I demand, pushing papers around, tossing loose clothing over my shoulder. It almost feels like I can't remember where my keys are for a reason. Or maybe I'm just jumping to conclusions with all the wild thoughts running through my head.

The women on the other end who I was stuck on hold for ten minutes before being able to talk to her sounds flustered. "This isn't a common request, you see. People don't just call a helpline to speak to an Immortal."

True. But I didn't know what else to do.

"You work with a connecting team to his institution though, right?" I ask. That was the reason why I called. I'm still going to get into my car and drive to his estate, which is a big drive, but worth it if I get answered. "I need to see him. This is urgent."

Finally, I manage to find my keys stuffed between the couch cushions. Quickly, I run out into the rain, trying to shield myself with the notebook I've brought with me. Inside, is an extensive list of questions I have for Thought, if I manage to get close enough to him. I'm not going to stop until I get something...for my mental health. Sliding into the car, I turn it on, much to the caller's distress. "Is that a car? Ma'am, please don't do anything that you will regret. Thought might not even be in the Pack at the moment."

"You're utterly useless," I mutter, as I hang up.
I feel bad for being so rude, but I don't have time to argue on the phone with someone who is never going to give me a chance to see Thought. It's better to do things yourself.

The drive is long, I know that, and I doubt I'll get there until late into the evening. I'm hoping this rain lets up. It viciously attacks my windshield, causing me to lose a lot of vision. Thankfully, the moment I'm out of Fate's territory, I'm onto straight roads that are easy to drive. I just hope I'll get there and Thought will actually be where he lives.

By the time I arrive to the border of his estate, dawn is only an hour away, and I'm exhausted. The drive was nice toward the end though, since the storm seemed condensed to Fate's territory, is has no cleared up, and through the darkness I could see the infinite fields and small villages that I passed through.

Approaching the front gate, I spot two guards who talk together casually, but the moment they notice my headlights approaching, they appear suddenly serious.

A lump forms in my throat. Maybe this was a bad idea...

"I need to see Thought," I say, the moment my windscreen has been lowered. The guard eyes my suspiciously, glancing down at the clipboard in his hand. Maybe I would have made an appointment if I actually knew how to go about that...

"We can't let you in without authorisation," he replies.

He doesn't even bother asking for my name, or what my intentions are. Looking forward, he completely disregards me, waiting for me to back up and leave. This clearly is a procedure that he is used to. Little does he know, that I've been through too much in the past few weeks to turn around when this is the first real lead I've had this entire time.

I can't excuse the fact that the Immortal who control thought, of all things, have been plaguing my dreams and hallucinations. Especially when I've never seen him before otherwise.