Chapter Twenty Eight

Word Count: 1548

¬Luella

I scream.

Rushing toward the edge of the cliff, slipping over the dew on the grass, I desperately search below into the darkness to see where Time's body has fallen. Surely he can't die from this...right? He's immortal, so it would take a lot more to kill him than simply falling off a cliff into the bush below, but the thought of him being injured, even if Time isn't my favourite immortal, makes me feel ill.

"Time!" I shout down the cliff, seeing nothing but inky shadows swirling tauntingly around a void of darkness, the immortal nowhere to be seen. I don't have abilities to heal like him, so if I slip, which the stones and dirt slipping away at my feet, raining down below are a sign of, I will likely die.

There is no response, until I hear the sound of a body falling onto the ground. Turning around, Time has transported himself back to the surface, crumpled upon the ground.

I run over to him, my stomach turning as I see the state of him.

He wears clothing that covers most of his body, but I can see wear each inch of fabric is torn, and where blood seeps from wounds spread across his skin. Kneeling down beside him, I help him roll over onto his back, his face contorted in pain.

"What happened? Why did you do that?" I question frantically, looking over his body, completely consumed in panic. I don't know what to do, where to touch or even how to help. His injuries would be enough to kill a mortal...or me, who is an immortal, but not completely immune to damage like this. Despite the blood seeping from his head, his nose and even his mouth, I can see surface wounds beneath tearing in his clothes already starting to heal.

"I wasn't in control...Someone poisoned me or something," he mutters through gritted teeth, forcing himself into sitting position. There's a flash of anger in his golden eyes that I'm hoping isn't directed at me or Thought. Clearly him and I had nothing to do with this.

A wisp of wind hit me, blowing my hair back over my shoulders. Suddenly, Thought has arrived from thin air, likely having heard the commotion from inside.

He takes one look at Time, and his jaw clenches.

Time talks before his brother even has a chance to announce his concern. "I know you can't get into my head, but there must be some kind of residual magic around this place, because I just walked myself off a cliff without any intention to. My body just...did it."

Thought comes to kneel beside me, gaze flickering to me for only a moment before it settles on Time, who is shaking his limbs back into submission. His immortal powers are unbelievable, as all the broken bones settle back into place, and the wounds seal back over, as if none of them were ever there. But I can see in his eyes that he is still shaken.

"No, it can't be that. Maybe you were dreaming," Thought says. No one knows his abilities more than him, but I can feel the skepticism coming from Time.

And then it hits me.

"I know this sounds crazy, but I had the most painful headache before, that vanished the moment I saw Time step off that cliff," I say. I'm not sure why I even brought it up, but I can't stop replaying him stepping off that cliff, like I already knew that it was going to happen...

No one says anything right away, and immediately I feel ridiculous. I know the curse is starting to flow through my veins, but there is no way that I was the one who controlled him off that cliff, right? Time is one of the most powerful immortals that exist, so the curse can't possibly have that much ability yet. Just considering the idea that I did this to him makes me want to be sick all over this dewy grass, which at this point, has soaked completely through my pants.