Chapter Forty One

Word Count: 1586

¬Luella

I don't allow his words to frighten me.

If there is anything that I've learnt, it's that I can't trust Revel, so as those words come past his lips, my eyes narrow skeptically. Revel is a Sin, which means he only cares about himself, and would say anything if it meant he could get his way.

"If you're lying to me..." I mutter uneasily, wishing I could put more of a threatening tone into my voice. The moment someone threatens Thought, it immediately makes me uncomfortable. For so long now, I've been the one everyone wants dead, so hearing that Thought could be in danger too makes my stomach twist uneasily.

"I'm not," he tells me. He seems serious, which is all the more unnerving. "It's not safe enough for me to explain this here."

He looks around himself like he's afraid of someone listening...I'm assuming Thought.

"I'm not going anywhere with you," I tell him firmly. If I let him transport me away from here, there's no guarantee I will be able to get back, and I may not be able to contact Thought through my mind. Revel can't be trusted, even if his words have intrigued me, causing fear to bloom in my chest.

"I know you don't trust me...But everything I'm doing is to try to save my own life," he tells me firmly. The way his eyes darken makes me startle, the intensity to his voice unlike anything I've heard from his mouth before. In my experience with Revel, he's attitude is usually flippant and amused...not this. "If you don't believe I would help you, believe that."

Despite knowing that he's right, that if there were any reason to believe him, it would be for that, I narrow my eyes. "I can always look into your mind and see what you're hiding."

"No...Please don't do what you did last time," he winces, stepping back a few steps out of genuine fear. I realise then that I may have more control over him than I think. "You can trust me, Luella."

If he is telling the truth, then leaving with him may be worth the risk...

"Where do you want to go?" I ask uneasily, keeping my hardened look about me, wanting to keep Revel in his place. He still looks nervous, body language changing so he appears more meek and reserved. Getting into his head may have been more damaging than anticipated, and although he betrayed me, I feel guilty for putting him through that.

He rubs the back of his neck, moonlight touching his dark hair, leaving a glassy sheen along it. "Far from here, to the mortal realm."

"Mortal realm?" I flinch, immediately shaking my head. "You're insane."

I back up a few steps, deciding that his words no longer mean anything to be and I'm fed up with dealing with Revel's oddness. "Wait. Someone will be there who I think you want to talk to."

I narrow my eyes on him, willing him to say more.

"Someone very powerful wants what he wants. If he doesn't get it, bad things will start to happen," he warns me, nodding slowly as if to suggest I know what he is referring to. Bad things will not only happen to me, but Thought, which isn't something I'm willing to risk.

"And if I don't go with you, he will kill Thought?" I ask.

"He will kill me," Revel notes grimly.

My jaw clenches as I inwardly curse. I may not trust Revel or like him very much, but I know I don't want anything bad to happen to him...I don't want anything bad to happen to anyone. Knowing all of this, I realise I don't have much of a choice.