Chapter Fifteen

Word Count: 1836

~Luella

"Okay. This isn't funny."

The earnest in Thought's eyes are unnerving, because it almost makes me believe him. But it makes no sense. I've been dragged into this life with no explanation, and every time I seek one, I get more confusion. Revel has fled, not having contacted me since the utter failure at dinner the other day. Good, he's the last thing I need right now. He wanted me to break Thought's heart, and Fate wants me to win his heart. I think I know which I would rather.

"I'm not joking. I thought it would be a good excuse for you to come here more often," he tells me. I get to my feet, dismissing him with a wave of my arms. If he thinks for one second he can persuade me with those silver doe eyes and furrowed brow, he is very wrong.

"For someone who reads minds, you're not very perceptive, are you?" I mutter, heading toward the door. Thought trails after me.

He reaches for my arm, but I swipe it away. "Hey, don't leave. Don't you want an explanation?"

I pause, but only because I want to get my point through to him very clearly. "At this point, I don't believe anything that comes out of your mouth right now."

"So, you just assume that these dreams aren't from me?" he says, bringing me to a halt. Turning on my heels, I face him. His arms are crossed over his chest, as he looks at me like I'm surely looking at him right now. Stubborn.

"Don't go there," I threaten.

"Revel worked for me. Once. He was an assistant of mine, who wanted powers of his own. I was foolish to trust a Sin. The power got to his head, so I sent him off. He still remains like a brother to me, despite all that has happened," Thought admits. My hand hovers over the door handle, but I don't make the move.

This is what I was waiting for from Thought. Answers. However, answers with immortals don't come for free, which means he's expecting a prompt return of favour. I'm not willing to play his game, and end up worse off than before.

"Will you just let me go?" I ask. If he likes playing around with innocent girls in his spare time, I'm not interested. Eternity is a long time to live, but boredom from that is not my problem.

Thought goes to speak, but his voice falters. The sudden vulnerability in his eyes is more than I've ever seen in my life. In anyone. He swallows, then looks down his feet, going through in his head what he plans to say. He's been so quick witted and fast so far, I'm surprised that in this moment, he's lost for words.

He breathes in. "I'm in love with you."

"What. Why?" is first words to come out of my mouth out of sheer defense.

This can't be real. His words have accelerated my heartrate to the point I might fall into cardiac arrest, but I can't help it. Thought stares at me like a broken man, who looks purely mortal. Those dark curls, bright eyes and solemn expression appear so...real.

"It's a long story. Stay the night here, please," he exasperates, running his hands back through his hair. Standing here, I don't know what to do. If this is all an act out of manipulation, I don't know what I'll do. I've spent so long never thinking anyone could love me, hearing this is painful. Especially out of someone who knows not a thing about me.

"You're crazy. You and this entire immortal life is insane, and I want no part of it. Leave my sister be, and I'll never see you ever again," I snap, turning toward the door.

I can't even get out the door before he seizes my arm. "You're coming with me."

He pulls me toward him, and despite my protests, starts leading me upstairs. I try pull my sleeve out from under him, but it's pointless. He drags me, with him, as if what he is doing isn't completely wrong, as I pull with all my might against him. For the slender but masculine figure, he really has an odd amount of strength.