Chapter Thirty Eight

Word Count: 1626

(Spoilers for Sinful's Lust. Read at your own risk)

¬Luella

Any dialogue in her memories is foggy, but the faces are clear.

I could have looked past this memory and not seen anything strange about it, but yet as I look closer, sifting through the intricacies of it, I notice the strange white haired figure with milky eyes that she has seen in the past has more to him than what might be revealed at first glance. Looking deeper into memories involving him, I see Sinful, and then feel Millicent's fear.

Whoever this man is, he's scaring her, even today. The memory of that feeling has been lingering for quite some time, being something she has kept personal to her.

"I think there is something wrong," I breathe. Once I've pieced together the story, the reason why Millicent is so fearful of this white haired man, I finally pull away, releasing my hold on the Moon Goddesses mind, regaining all my senses.

"What is it?" she asks nervously, fingers knotting together in front of her. There's hope in her emerald eyes, like we may be able to figure out the reality behind her powers. In truth, I never had faith that this would work, but now I feel as though I've exposed something far darker.

"The Moon...has a name," I breathe, almost sure I'm right about. "Kyser. And he's trying to protect Millicent from Sinful."

There's silence for a long moment.

Glancing at Sinful, it becomes apparent that this is his first time hearing about this. His dark brows furrow, lavender eyes casting down to the floor as he thinks this through, Suddenly I realise that maybe I shouldn't have said that, like I revealed something that Millicent didn't want him to know. She has gone pale, starting at me like she can't believe that came out of my mouth.

"I think that's enough," Millicent says quickly, getting to her feet. I flinch back, a headache gathering between my temples. I spent too long trying to get into her head and now I'm suffering the consequences of it.

Sinful is staring me down, lavender eyes turning dark. "Are you sure that's what you saw?"

"As sure as I can be," I say uneasily, watching Millicent walk away a few steps, even if she does linger for a long moment, waiting to hear what I have to say. "Did I say something wrong?"

Sinful looks down at his clasped hands, breathing in deeply. This was meant to be a favour, to get on the good side of a few immortals, yet now I feel as though I've exposed something from between them that can't be taken back.

"This is a curse after all. I'm sure you must have misread," Millicent says firmly, crossing her arms over her chest. Looking up at her, I frown. She doesn't believe me, or is choosing not to. Or maybe she is trying to discredit me, so Sinful won't believe a word coming from my mouth. What I have may be rare, but I know it's real, and I know what I saw can't just be explained away.

Thought cuts in before I have a chance. "She didn't misread anything. This ability is more powerful than you think."

"You know about this. I can see the interactions," I say softly, looking pointedly at Millicent. She flinches, eyes narrowing slightly. I'm not sure if she is angry, or if she is frightened at what I've revealed.

"Maybe you should go," is all she says.

Instead of protesting, I look toward Thought and nod at him. There is little point in making it clear to her and her mate that she should be worrying about her situation with Kyser, especially when it is none of my business. So I just get to my feet, reaching my hand out to Thought.