Chapter Twenty One

Word Count: 1656

~Luella

She slips into the room, eyeing me warily.

My poor, beautiful sister. She used to admire me, once upon a time. Now, she stares at me through pale green eyes, terrified. I'm still tied down, after a day. My wrists are rubbed raw, to the point they never stop stinging, and no one has come in this room to let me know when I might be let out. Everyone just likes not make excuses.

"You're looking so much better already," Della says cheerfully, as if she thinks she can fool me. I can hear how forced her tone is, as she walks on what she thinks is broken glass, scared one word could send me spiralling back into the depression she most likely thinks she saved me from.

"I was never sick," I tell her pointedly.

Her once bright smile falls into a flat line, as she pulls up a chair to sit next to me. The only reason she is braving getting close to me is because I'm tied down. I'm no risk to anyone anymore.

"Ethan told me you would say that," she sighs, straightening he jacket. "I found you, unconscious for what must have been days. You can be honest with us, and tell me if you tried to take your life. We want to help you, to make you better. Finally, we can get rid of these hallucinations and you can get better. You have no idea how much I've missed you."

I'm hardly listening to a word coming out of her mouth. Della appears outwardly, pleased with herself, like she's accomplished something. I love her, but I always suspected she wanted to be better than me. Now I'm apparently sick, this is her opportunity.

"I'm only going to say this once," I tell her.

"Say what once? Is this about being Thought's mate? You don't have to be jealous anymore, him and I aren't together, and you know that," she exclaims.

I have to inhale slowly to keep a handle on myself. "This isn't a jealously thing. Thought dragged you along to get to me. Him and I are mates, and if you would please go and retrieve him for me, that would be great. He doesn't know I'm here, and will be worrying about me."

Della's expression doesn't move. I've tried contacting Thought myself, by calling for him in my sleep, trying to reach him in a dream. But it's radio silence, like he's disappeared completely. It does make me wonder, did he leave now because he has no interest in pursuing this with me? Was this his plan this entire time?

"Look, Luella, you're not well. I came here to tell you that I won't stop trying to get you back, okay?" Della says, reaching to hold my hand. I stare at it, the rings on her fingers, the painted nails.

She's been just fine without me.

I clasp her hand tightly, to the point it has to be painful for the both of us. "If you don't get me my mate right now, bad things will happen. Now go, and don't come back until you've decided you want to listen to me, your sister."

Della yelps, as I finally let her go. She jumps up from her seat, staring at me like I'm crazy. Maybe I am going crazy, sitting in this room alone, tied down against my will.

"You're going to get help," Della says firmly, before she leaves the room.

Exhaling, I lay back in the seat, closing my eyes. How could this have happened? There is no way I'm going to be able to convince them to let me out of here without sounding crazy. I mean, who would believe a girl claiming she is mated to a pure-blood immortal, or even communicating with one. They won't even give me a chance to explain myself.

Maybe I fell asleep, I'm not sure. But the sound of the door opening and closing softly startles me away again. It only takes a single glance to realise I'm done for.