Chapter Twenty Seven

Word Count: 1887

¬Luella

I can't hide my skepticism for Time's claim to protect me.

He's been here for a few hours now, wandering around, examining Thought's house with a consistency that is clearly irritating Thought. But knowing the pointlessness of shooing the immortal from his home, he has bitten his tongue, and allowed for Time to stay, as long as he supplies us with information about the immortals who are aware of the curse affecting me.

But he's been awfully frugal in the manner of which he is imparting information. Thought is clearly tense with the unannounced arrival of his brother, but has the peace of mind to stay quiet about it. As much as Time worries me, with the amount of power he conjures beyond the surface, I will take any help I can get.

As long as he hurries up with this information.

"Hanging onto the past, or just a poorly outdated taste in furnishings?" Time comments from where he is walking around the living area, deciding on mini statue in the shape of a lion to comment harshly on.

"I'm inclined to agree," I say dismissively. Thought looks at me pointedly while I smother a smile. To be honest, it's enjoyable watching the way Time twists Thoughts patience. No one bothers him more than Time, so it's interesting to see him try to rein in his anger. Time winks at me, clearly aware of my motive. There is no way Thought is going to send his brother away when there is information on the line.

Thought stands, putting down his glass that was once filled with some kind of murky alcohol. "I'm going to bed. You two can keep yourselves entertained with my possessions."

Both Time and I watch silently as he leaves the room, having had enough with our antics. Maybe it's the wine I've been sipping for the past hour or so, that has given Time a sense of humour I like. Or maybe I'm just thankful to have someone take my mind of this curse.

Either way, he poses no threat to me yet.

"Thought and I mended our relationship a long time ago, but he's extra sensitive when it comes to me being around you, as if I don't have my own mate," Time says as he comes to sit next to me on the couch, lounging back against the arm rest. I watch the way he looks at me, trying to decipher his motive. Despite how comfortable I'm feeling, I'm skeptical if he's actually here to protect me.

"He has a lot to be protective over, but I can look after myself. How do you think I got into your head in the first place? As long as I keep working on that skill, I can protect myself against these immortals, even without you," I tell him, kicking my feet up near him.

Time swirls the red liquid around his glass. "That will take a great amount of time, and there is no guarantee you will even get close to matching Thought's abilities."

"There's also no guarantee it won't happen."

I'm not allowing myself to pretend like I will have any power like Thought, but it is nice to dream. This is the first time I've had any semblance of power in my life, and as much as it scares me, it's empowering.

"It took Thought centuries to perfect his use of his powers. Even then, he has weaknesses, but because he's so powerful, everyone fears him. Just the mention of his power being spread to another being has elicited a lot of fear in immortals, who right now, know more about Thoughts abilities than you do. It's unlikely you will have one percent of his power, but they won't want to take that chance," Time explains grimly.

Swinging my legs off the couch, I pat Time's leg with mock affection. "It doesn't matter. I have a mate who will teach me how to protect myself. Feel free to go home whenever you like."