Chapter Twelve

Word Count: 1604

~Luella

I'm not sure what to do.

Della sits in front of me, coffee cup in her hand, looking through the wafting steam right into my eyes. Despite the forwardness of her stare, it seems as though she is looking right through me, or that there is nothing in those eyes. If I weren't so already uncomfortable with our situation, I would be concerned about her. I am concerned about her, for thinking it's okay to be with a pureblood immortal.

It took me a lot of consideration to invite her into my home. After the interaction with Time last night - if that was truly real - I've decided I need to get into Della's head and find out why she is doing this. She's unintentionally dragged me into one of the darkest parts of my life. Or maybe it was intended...

"I just want to know why," I admit, sipping my tea. The mood in here is eerie. It's dark outside, despite the early afternoon hour, the storm darker and more sinister than usual.

"Why what?"

I give her a flat look. "Why you're dating Thought?"

"Because I like him. He's...nice?" She comments, smiling softly. Nice. I don't think I've ever heard Della call anything nice in this world. In a relationship, she's more of the dominant one, who shares almost every aspect of me. She would have come to me, the moment she met him to brag about being in the presence of an immortal. Her apprehension to tell me anything is not her.

"Are you with him seriously, or are you just sleeping together?" I question. I'm prying to ensure he isn't using her for material reasons. Why else would he be interested in someone as simple as my sister. Or as simple as me.

Della frowns, looking into her cup. "Oh no, he doesn't want to do that. He promises me soon, but he doesn't even let me kiss him, so I somehow doubt that."

My stomach turns. "Then why are you with him?"

Della pauses, mouth parted. She blinks a few times, before she lets a frown slip, deep in thought. For the first time in awhile, Della hasn't been loud, in my face and in my business. She's withdrawn, often trapped within her own head. It's like seeing a shell of the girl who I grew up with, who I was buried with in the mortal world.

"I'm with him because he wants to be with me, and I want to make him happy. Why do you need to know so much?" She questions, tilting her head. She's getting defensive, which means I need to back off.

"I'm just hoping that you're happy. Okay?"

Della nods, playing with a strand of hair, twisting it around her finger absentmindedly. I've already made my mind up about what is going on, without needing to speak to her anymore. I have a feeling Thought might be using her eyes, and could be watching to ensure I'm not suspicious of their relationship. So I'll leave her be, be concerned, but not too worried.

Because I think Thought is using her. For whatever reason that might be, he needs her, and I'm going to put a stop to it.

"Hey, what's that?" Della questions, tone quivering as she points over my shoulder. Glancing behind me, I look out the window and into the storm outside. 

For a moment, I see a figure, before it flickers away like a light. My heart almost completely stops at the sight. If Della had not been the one to point it out, I would have assumed it was just another hallucination. When I turn back to Della, all the colour has drained from her face. It seems like she's finally showing some kind of normal, controlled emotion again.

"You should probably get going," I tell her. Standing, I grab her umbrella, motioning for her to go to the door.

"Go? With someone lurking outside your house? There's no way I'm leaving now," he claims, rubbing her arms as if she's shivering. As much as I'm concerned, I doubt it was anything to worry about. My life might have been turned upside down recently, but seeing strange figures outside is drawing the line at crazy.