Chapter Thirty Four

Word Count: 1570

¬Luella

I'm ashamed that I'm more relieved than concerned.

He wants to kill Death. Just hearing those words come from a complete stranger sounds so absurd. You can't kill Death, she is infinitely powerful; perhaps one of the most powerful of the immortals, considering the mass of immortals she rules over by herself. If she were to no longer exist, there would be no place for mortals who have just died to be judged and to serve their sentence for their past life sins. The entire concept of death would be so skewed it would likely destroy the world as we know it.

"Who are you?" I can't help but ask, wanting to know what kind of person thinks they can come here and threaten an immortal like that - even if that immortal poses a threat to a lot of people, including me. But I would never be foolish enough to threaten her life.

He shifts, rubbing his hands together. "My name is Stace. I come from a realm very far away. I shouldn't be here, doing this, but Death has become too much of a threat."

"So you're going to kill her?" The words feel ashy in my mouth.

He nods grimly. "It is what must be done. Powerful immortals are becoming a threat to my kind."

"And what exactly is your kind?" I ask warily, my gaze falling to the tattoos on his neck, depicting patterns I've never seen before, a foreign story I don't even want to begin deciphering. Not to mention the way they drift and curl tauntingly, ever so slowly that they nearly convince you that you're just seeing things, and they are in fact nothing but normal tattoos.

"Demon like creatures, and not in the way you think. We appear in this state, obviously." My throat tightens. His current state is an excessively tall man with dark features and a well-muscled stature. Not to mention, he looks as though he wields dark magic I don't want to explore.

I shuffle back. "And what exactly do I have to do with this?"

"Well you're an excuse for me to get into her home. Do you know how difficult it is?" I watch him deleve a hand into his dark hair, ruffling it more than it already was. Here he is, trying to get in, when I desperately want to get out.

"You can't kill her. She's one of the most important immortals," I tell him firmly. She may want to remove my powers - well, I suppose she completely wants to get rid of me but doesn't want to ruin a relationship with Thought, but that doesn't mean I want to risk the entire fabric of this realm by having her killed.

The frightening part is knowing that as I look at him, he's completely serious.

"She is one of the biggest threats to my people's kind. Those that dwell here are getting killed off. I don't care what happens to this realm," he admits.

Fear slices through me, hollowing at my stomach as I consider that. He is willing to destroy an endless amount of lives over a simple threat to his people. I want to tell him there are ways to stop it without going through with this, that there are more options than killing, yet I somehow know it's useless to reason with a complete stranger.

But that doesn't mean I'm not going to use what abilities I have. "That's hideously cruel. You can't possibly do that."

"I don't expect you to understand, Luella," he mutters, moving toward the door, however I quickly reach out, grabbing his arm. Strength wise, I would stand no chance putting myself between him and the door. Yet still, he turns around, those dark eyes glowing.

"No, stop," I practically beg. "I don't care if she wants to take my powers away, you can't kill her, I won't let you."

He tilts his head. "And you're going to stop me?"