Chapter Eight

Word Count: 1592

~Luella

I didn't calm down until I made it home.

The drive was full of under my breath muttering and white knuckles against my steering wheel. It's disappointing, seeing how pointless that meeting was. But what did I expect? I was foolish for thinking I could trust an immortal and subsequently, I'm here feeling vacant and empty, getting nothing but taunted and misled from that exchange.

By the time I got home, I was exhausted. I just want to sleep, yet at the same time, I don't want another nightmare. I'm doomed to go through all of this for the rest of my life, and that thought is truly depressing.

Collapsing onto the couch, I close my eyes.

My mind can't stop going over everything Thought said to me. He warned me, not to believe everything that I see. He even told me to forget about everything that is going on within my head...

Maybe I should just do that. Maybe I should finally act as though this isn't my whole life, and move on. Ignore it all. Head Thought's advice. Being that he is so powerful, and most likely knows more about my consciousness than I do, maybe he is right, and I'm being stubborn for not trusting him. Pure-blood Immortals are strange, and have little social interaction with anyone outside of their small circle. Maybe he just doesn't know how to have a normal conversation.

So I'll try ignore it. And pray that something works...

***
~Thought

"Don't you just hate that it came to this, Thought?"

I stare into the fireplace, watching it tear into the wood, charring it until it falls away into ash. There's no need to turn around to see his face. His eyes, irritatingly similar to my own, haunt my gaze. It takes all my self-control to not open the gate between us, and let his thoughts stream into my mind. I agreed some time ago, to not invade his privacy in that way.

"I thought we agreed I would deal with this, not you," I comment, chewing on the edge of my nail. It's a bad habit I've obtained over the years.

"It's taken you seven years, Thought, to make the first move. What are you so afraid of? She's your mate," he tells me. Does he hear himself? This young immortal boy has so much confidence. These Sins may think they are invincible, but I could make him throw his head into this fire in an instance.

Although that might be a bit dramatic.

"Exactly," I say smoothly, turning around to face him. "She's my mate. That's the problem."

Revel doesn't quite understand the whole mate thing. Being a Sin, the idea of having someone loyally indebted to them is deliciously tempting. To them, it doesn't mean so much. However, to a pure blood, it's a bond we have been deprived of our entire lives. We have watched many happy mortals indulge in this with no second thought. For us immortals, our fates kept mates from us until now.

And I'll be damned if I screw this up.

"So instead of chivalrously approaching her, you sort through her brain and put her through all this torment?" Revel questions, folding his arms over his chest as he leans back against the wall. Cocky bastard. He knows full well that he doesn't care, he's just taunting me. Reminding me of the one weakness that he has above me. I never should have trusted this kid.

"Don't act like you know about chivalry. And I'm not putting her through torment. I'm teaching her to ignore the breach within her mind to make her stronger. It's to protect her against meddling immortals such as you," I mutter.