Chapter Twenty Four

Word Count: 1660

For our date, Thought decided to take me to a village in his territory.

I've decided I love his territory. The emerald green grass littered with vivid wildflowers for miles to see, only being broken by the village we venture into. It's cobblestone streets and beautifully built buildings are enough to have my mood improving already, despite everything that has gone on. I'm free. Free from Fate, free from other immortals who might want me dead.

Thought holds my hand tightly, as we stroll down the street. It's strange, seeing him in such a domestic setting, people's gazes on him for longer than a second as they pass us by. Most of them don't believe it's actually the immortal that rules their territory.

"Why do you have your estate so far away form here? I would want to be close to this beautiful place," I admit, breathing in the scent of jasmines as we walk by flowerbeds growing from people's balcony's.

Thought looks down at me warmly. "I can get you a place here if you like."

Those few words, as simple as they appear, only remind me of the power he possesses. Endless wealth and influence here...anywhere. He could get me any home here if I truly wanted it. As much as it feels tempting, I don't want to accept any of his power, even if I am his mate. That would be accepting what might be for the rest of my life.

"I think this place will remain special if we only visit from time to time," I tell him, squeezing his fingers tightly. And I believe that, too. I bet in the oncoming winter months, it snows here, laying a bright white blanket over this already beautiful village.

"I have something planned, if you're interested in," Thought offers, piquing my interest. "It's a big day in this place. The train from Death's realm, delivering fresh immortals will be arriving in the next hour. It's always a celebration to see who is brought to this territory. Sometimes families even get reunited."

This day isn't unfamiliar to me. When I hopped off the train and into Fate's territory, I was overwhelmed and alone. But then I saw Della, waiting for me. We had died together, in an accident in the mortal realm, but I had to serve a longer sentence in Death's realm.

I was never sure why...now I suspect it's because I have an immortal as a mate.

"That sounds great. I can't wait to see the smiles on their faces when they realise they got the best territory with the greatest leader," I say, half teasing, as I nudge Thought's side. But in reality, I mean it. As elusive as he might be, Thought has a side to him I really like, even if I haven't explored much more of him.

"I haven't been the best leader, in reality. I've been all over the place, trying to right my wrongs and find the part of myself that I might actually like," he admits.

I'm surprised at his sudden admission of honesty. Thought has always confused me, but now it seems like he confuses himself. I just hope the person he wants to become is good, which is more important than his past, which I've still failed to look into.

I don't say anything, simply looking up at him.

We walk through the town, approaching the train tracks that line the city. Crowds are already gathering, anticipating the arrival with laughs and cheers, holding flowers above their heads as they walk. Thought is able to navigate his way past everyone, never once letting go of my hand. Of course everyone just lets him go through with no complaint.

The train glides along the track quickly, appearing from the horizon in one moment, and in the next, it's stopped at the station, tinted windows disallowing any of us to see anyone inside. I don't remember it moving so quickly when I was on it.