Chapter Twenty Six

Word Count: 1675

(If you're confused about the timeline, Thought is set AFTER Time's novel. Contains mild spoilers for Time)

¬Luella

The sheer shock of it had my mind returning back to where it belongs.

Pain burns in the back of my eyes, having me flinch back. Holding my face, I stop myself from screaming at the pain, the colours dancing in my vision, before it begins to fade away. When I open my eyes again, Emmett is staring at me, dumbfounded at my sudden reaction to absolutely nothing. But it's not Emmett. It's another immortal harnessing power to pretend to be my old friend.

And of course it would be Time. Of course it would be Thought's brother...I wish I could know his motive, but whatever just happened, didn't supply me with that information.

I'm assuming that was the curse. With uncontrollable ease, I was able to slip into his mind, and read his thoughts for a brief moment, before slipping back out again. Aside from the pain, it makes me feel sick to my stomach, like I just violated someone. Even if doing so revealed to me who is sitting behind the deceitful expression.

And he has no idea I did so. At least I assume from the expression he is giving me.

"Everything okay? You look like you've seen a ghost," Emmett says...no, Time say. Shaking an impassive expression back onto my face, I try not to appear as though his thoughts just haunted me, and now I know the truth behind his facade. There is no way Time would assume that just occured, even if he knows about the curse, which I'm praying he doesn't.

"Something like that," I mutter, the image of Time's thoughts still burned into the forefront of my mind. Maybe he's not a threat; he once tried to help me, but I'm not going to make myself vulnerable. "Stay here...I just need to talk to Thought about something for a moment."

Time goes to protest, but I'm already out of the room, closing the door behind me. I've never walked so quickly, making my way down my stairs until I see Thought lingering not too far away.

His face immediately paints with concern as he sees me.

"Your brother," I say quickly, before I can even get out all I need to say. Thought's expression immediately shadows at the mention of his brother. They get along just fine now, but I still get the impression that the trust between them is still a gray area. "Your brother has taken over Emmett's body. I don't know exactly how but he did it, and now he's sitting up in that room like nothing is wrong."

Thought immediately goes to pass me, but I push him back with my hand. I don't need him to walk up there and some kind of fight breaks lose. I can't exactly imagine how that would happen, since their abilities seem to balance each other out, but I don't need to see that. Especially when we don't know Time's motive. It could be a trap.

"Wait. He doesn't know that I know he's in there...In Emmett," I tell him uneasily, recalling the numbing feeling of falling into his deepest thoughts, exposing his plan in a way none of us ever considered happening.

Thought frowns. "How do you know then?"

"I read his mind. I'm assuming this has something to do with the curse, but I never want that to happen again, especially without me in control of it," I tell him adamantly. Holding my stomach, as if the feeling of nausea still exists, I see Thought give me a grim look. It's happening, quicker than we both thought it would, and now we have no way of making it stop. And we have a powerful immortal sitting upstairs with an unknown motive.

Thought brushes past me, while I reluctantly follow. "We will speak about that curse later, right now, I need to speak to my brother. There is no point letting him flirt around this place being able to act out his plan. We might as well confront him and see what he has to say for himself."