Chapter Thirty Nine

Word Count: 1638

¬Luella

Thought and I sit outside on the balcony, looking out across the desert plains that have been casted into shadow by the fallen sun. Night here is remarkable, the once red sound now pale and milky from the brilliant moonlight.

"So you don't need to sleep?" I ask curiously, glancing at my mate who lounges back in a chair beside me. We have been sitting out here for a while now, talking about the most random things we could come up with. It's bonding, in a way, drawing closer to each other with only the simple things being shared. It's how we would have come to know each other in a normal circumstance.

"No. But pure blood immortals do anyway to fill time," he admits, silvery eyes glistening similarly to the stars in the sky. "Living for all eternity gets boring very quickly."

I swallow drily. Sometimes I forget he's lived for so long.

"Have you had another mate in your lifetime?" I ask, unsure of how he could have gone so long without the true bond forged by only one natural phenomena, and that's the mate bond. Now that I have experienced this, I'm not sure how I ever lived without it.

Thought drags his gaze away from the horizon, looking at me softly. "No, you are the only one who will ever be mine, Luella. Even if I've had to wait a very long time for it."

I shiver, unable to inhibit my smile from taking over my entire expression.

"Even though I was young I was disappointed I didn't find my mate as a mortal," I admit, leaning back into my seat, letting the cool night air dance across my skin, unable to cool my hot blood. It doesn't matter how many times I glance at Thought, my heart still flutters. Under the moonlight, there is a slight sheen of silver across his ebony curls, his shadows framing the sharp contours of his face.

He tilts his head. "Why as a mortal?"

"There is something so simple and sweet about living a mortal life with your mate. I never realised that until I died and became immortal, but I decided I wanted that," I tell him, remembering what it was like to be alone what was only a few months ago. "But this will do."

Thought laughs slightly, biting the edge of his lip. "I hope I please you."

"What else can you do?" I decide to ask, realising that I don't know much about him, or the extent of his powers. When he has been alive for so long, there is too much to catch up on in just one night. Perhaps it will take years for him to fully inform me of his past, and I'm okay with that. Even if my curiosity burns, I have to be reasonable.

"I can read minds, manipulate thought, emotion," he says lightly, examining my reaction carefully, as if anything about that would turn me off from him, as if I don't suddenly possess those abilities as well. I refrain from asking how often he uses those abilities.

"Can you make someone fall in love with you that isn't your mate?" I ask softly, not sure why I'm asking that since I don't exactly want to know what his answer will be.

"Yes, and I did once, when I was younger," he admits, his expression darkening along with his gaze. I hesitate, not knowing how I should react to this, remembering he had an entire life before me. "I used to be spiteful, mean spirited in a way. I used my powers for bad and not good. It was only until I met you that I decided I wanted to be a good man again."

Of course. That is why I was anxious about him in the beginning.

"Is that why you kept your distance?" I ask.

"That and the curse, yes," he confirms, turning to sit toward me, tilting his head so a single curl falls down past his eyebrow, catching my attention. Not only is this setting intimate, but we are far away from what our life has been for the past few weeks, so now I have nothing else to worry about other than the bond between us.