Barn Day

We all pulled into the driveway at the same time. I pulled my truck beside a large trailer and the others lined up beside me. The rest of the original barn crew was at a TTC ( Thoroughbred Training Center )  show with the lesson riders, so I told the owner we would keep things going today. 

"Woah." Will said, opening his door and getting out. I reached in the back a grabbed my saddle and bag. I led Will to the main barn area and set my stuff down. I signaled for him to follow me and we checked down the aisle. 

( Don't mind the marked out section, but see how the barn is in the background? See how the aisle goes back a little ways? That's how it looks

( Don't mind the marked out section, but see how the barn is in the background? See how the aisle goes back a little ways? That's how it looks.)

There's two doors open one in the front and one in the middle. Those are Apache's and Anthem's stalls. I take will to the far end of the barn and through an indoor pen ( the area with the open window at the end) to a pasture with two horses. 

A paint ( horse above) Belgian and a black Saddlebred waiting at the gate

A paint ( horse above) Belgian and a black Saddlebred waiting at the gate. I called down the barn to let someone know to block the entrance. I  got a call back from Jack.

" Send 'em down!" His thick Irish accent took Will by surprise. 

" Huh. Irish."

" Y-yeah." I laughed. " You'll be surprised. Trust me."

I opened the outside gate and went to the pasture where Apache and Anthem were waiting.

" Oh God Anthem! You're nasty!" He snorted and pawed at the gate. " Okay okay! I'll let you in!" Will stood by the gate while I blocked the middle pen. He unhooked the chain and sent the horses running into the barn. You could hear Harley yelling for Anthem as the horses ran into their stalls. Mark and Nate shut the doors while Jack continued to block the front. One by one, they let the day crew out: Irish, Val, Dahlia, Jag, Abby, Bridget, Pearl, Coach, Reba, and Flirt. Mares pretty much run the group, with Jag and Irish being the only geldings ( males who can't breed). Will watches as they run into the pasture, jumping the muddy spot at the gate. 

Closing the pasture, Will and I went back inside the barn and I closed the outside gate in time for Nate to bring Harley down. Harley is the stud ( stallion) so he can't go out with the others, or else there would be 7 foals the next spring. Nate leads him, Harley trying to stop at every stall that has a horse in it. He squeals and trots in place when they reach the bull pen, sniffing for the mares that just when outside. When Nate lets him go, Harley trots to the window, desperately calling for one of the mares to come over. 

Nate joins us at the gate. 

" Is it just me, or does Harley look lame in is left front?" He asked, looking back at the light chestnut stud. 

" Yeah. But he hasn't been trimmed in a while. So that could be it." I said and Will looked at us like we were on crack. I turn to him: " The farrier hasn't trimmed his hooves in a while. 

" Ah." Will nodded. 

" Babe, this is my brother, Nate." Will and Nate shake hands. Will looks at Nate in an odd way.

" I think I know you from somewhere... NateWantsToBattle?"

" And the Oscar for best guesser goes to Will Ryan!" Nate says in a fake mic.

We laugh and Jack and Mark come up to us.

" What's so funny?" Mark asks.

" Well-" I was cut off by something falling. We turn and look into the bull pen. Harley's gone. 

" Oh crap! Jack jumps the gate and runs into the pasture. We follow and circle around Harley while Jack puts the lead chain around his nose. I guess it's good in this case that he's lame. We lead him back inside and put him in the stall. Mark and Jack introduce themselves and the four boys hit it off pretty darn well. After a few hours of riding and teaching Will how to ride, we feed the horses and leave for the day. 

I drop Will off at his house when we get back. 

" Hey, we're heading to MineCon tomorrow if you wanna come. I'm singing with some people, thanks to your panel at San Japan." I invited Will because I thought it was a good chance for him to meet some more of my friends who are moving here. 

" Sure! What time?" 

" Nine." I say, excitedly. 

" Okay, I'll see ya tomorrow!"

" Bye! Love you!" I waved.

" Love you too!" He walked off and I drove back to my house.