Accident

Crap I'm late. I thought to myself as I jumped into my truck and flew down the road. It was two months after the encounter with the egos and rescuing Natemare. He's been getting along just fine with the others, as if he was never an ego at all. As I sped down the road, I looked at the limit posted on a sign by the road and realized I was doing 60 in a 45. I slowed down and pulled into the barn parking lot. I sprang from the driver seat and ran inside. It was 9:30 at I should've been here 3 hours ago. Everyone else was here, finishing the stalls as I set my saddle and bag down by the wall. I run to the pasture and grab Flirt, bringing her inside. I closed the bull pen gate and everyone crowded as Will went in to hold her. I lifted the saddle pad to her nose and she smelled it. I eased it over her back and she spooked, trying to run from it. Will held on as he pulled her to a stop and I picked the pad up and tried again. It took multiple tries, but I got it after about 5 minutes. 

The reason Flirt acted like this is because she hasn't been ridden in years. She's an 8 year old Saddlebred mare who was crippled as a foal. Her front knees bent backwards when she tried to stand. Se had been broke to ride as a filly, but they stopped working with her because she still limped on her front left leg. Now, 4-5 years later, we introduced the tack again and the method of working her. 

" Almost done girl." I said, speaking in a small whisper. I tightened the girth ( strap under the saddle) so the saddle wouldn't shift on her back. I took a step back and she looked at me. Will easily let go of her and she stayed standing in front of us. Flirt dipped her head and exhaled. The gang cheered as a once untouchable mare stood calmly in front of us with everything but a bridle. I grabbed my rope and clipped it to her halter. Swinging the other end over her neck and tying it the the halter as well, Flirt had full tack on. 

After working Flirt, Nathan went to get Twisty and her baby out of the ring. He ran back into the barn frantically, his eyes wide. 

" Darkiplier and Ryan.EXE are in the woods!" 

" Let's go y'all!" I called, going outside and opening a pasture gate. With the boys blocking; Me, Tess, and Ry ran the horses out of the pasture. The boys whooped and hollered, forcing the large horses inside. They were all shires, the largest known horse breed in the world. We ran around grabbing bridles and going to our horses. I mounted Alpha and and made my way from crowded aisle. Everyone followed me, trailing through the woods. These horses knew the trails inside and out and they were excellent trackers. Four dogs followed us. Cougar, a large English Mastiff; Diva, a Siberian Husky-German Shepard mix; Scoot, a Border Collie and Katniss , a Doberman. As we rode through the woods, we caught sight of Dark and Ryan.EXE sitting by a tree. Natemare made is voice very deep and echo as the wind picked up and blew hard. 

" You are trespassing on private property. Leave now." They got up to run, when I noticed something in Ryan.EXE's hand. A SCAR-L rifle. I told Natemare to cover me while I sent Alpha into a canter. The others stayed behind, waiting until I gave a signal. Dark turned and looked at me. 

(̶y̶/̶n̶)̶!̶ ̶W̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶ ̶s̶u̶r̶p̶r̶i̶s̶e̶!̶

I pulled Alpha to a halt and he arched his head, holding it high. He stomped his foot and Dark jumped.

I̶'̶v̶e̶ ̶n̶e̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶s̶e̶e̶n̶ ̶a̶ ̶h̶o̶r̶s̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶b̶i̶g̶ ̶b̶e̶f̶o̶r̶e̶.̶.̶.̶

" Oh you haven't seen anything yet...." I backed Alpha up and reached my foot around his neck. I bumped him with my heel and he reared up, pawing at the air and roaring loud. I hear whistling and yelling behind me. Will skids Hurricane to a stop beside me and the rest line up like a flock of birds; in a triangle formation. Dark backs up, putting his hands up in defense. Natemare's eyes turn black and slows down the ego's motion as Ryan.EXE whips around and starts firing the rifle at us. We dodge the bullets and Ryan runs out of ammo. We made it out of that event unharmed..... or so I thought. Natemare resumes time to normal speed and Me, Will, Mark, Jack, Tess, Mat, and Ryan chase after the egos. We galloped at full speed for what seems like forever, eventually losing Dark and Ryan.EXE over a large gulch where it falls into a railroad. We were about to turn back when Nathan calls me. 

Me- Nathan. What's wrong?

Nathan- Get back here fast! George has been shot!

I hang up and turn to the others. 

" We gotta go. NOW!" I whipped Alpha around and called to the others, Alpha dances in place, antsy to get back. 

" What happened?" Will asked, Hurricane backing up and stepping to the side. 

" George was shot." Was all I said and I sent Alpha flying. The horses all galloped in a line, the sound of their large hooves thundering against the ground. We came back to the rest of the group and George was on the ground, breathing hard. I jumped off of Alpha as soon as he stopped and ran up to where Ry was holding George's shirt to his wound. Elan was off about 10 feet away, talking to a 911 operator. 

" It doesn't look fatal. But it could cause some bad damage." Preston said. " Brianna knows about this stuff and I kinda took after her." 

Elan came back to us. " They're on their way." He said. 

" It's gonna be okay." Nathan said. " George is a fighter. He's got this." Nathan was right. George was showing very small signs of being in pain. Though his breathing could tell you everything along with his body being tense, he wasn't really verbally showing distress. Andrew came with the gator and we helped George onto the bed of it. Ry rode in the back with him while we crowded the two riderless horses into a huddle. We rode back like that, making sure they couldn't get away. By the time the medics came for George, it was time to feed. While Ry, Nathan, and Andrew went with the medics, we stayed to feed and get the rest of the horses inside. one thing kept coming into mind when I got home that evening.... What's gonna happen if the egos attack and George is still weak? What would they do to him?