11. A month!

He sat on the stool near the dining table, his tall legs reaching down the cold marbles but his woolen socks saved his feet from chilling up as he waited for the email which was supposed to be forwarded by Arley by now but guess he had gotten late this time.

He took a sip of his creamy coffee whilst passing a hand through his dense black hair, brushing them with his fingers as he pushed them backwards throwing a last glance on his laptop which was placed on kitchen counter.

He grunted as his coffee came to an end. He got up from stool making another mug of coffee as he added now a big spoon of chocolate powder into his white ceramic mug and stirred it. Bringing it close to his lips, he closed his eyes inhaling the coffee scent and took a sip—chocolaty warm taste filling him. He stood against the kitchen counter, his weight supported by it.

He was wearing a grey woollen sweater with white jeans. His white socks still as white as ceramic even after walking on the wooden, carpeted and marbled floor as he had left his slippers in his room. He was used of walking without shoes in his house 24/7 as the maids would keep the house clean all time. White marbles of kitchen, like his sweater looked greyish in the twilight as a dim light peeked inside the large windows.

When will i see her again, he thought.

He turned around as his coffee mug was empty, placing it aside. He looked outside the huge glassy windows. It was six in the morning as he watched the pine trees dance and lean slightly with the morning breeze as if welcoming the day. In the dim light nature and everything within it, looked pretty breathtaking. He understood now why would she find her peace in nature.

The backyard of their house looked inviting but something was missing————her low steps. Her slow pace was missing as she walked on the grass wrapping her black shrug around her. Her whole being was gone.

He leaned over only to have a more clear image as he watched the swing oscillate slightly as the soft wind blew.

It had been a month and he felt her wanted.

Soon his attention was brought towards his laptop notification sound that he had forgotten about. He proceeded to it and saw the email being forwarded he sat on stool again before continuing his work.

Nearly at 7:30AM the little family sat on dining table eating their breakfast but unlike others Zumeer played with his. Ahmed noticed his son and also pale colour covering his son's body.

"Zumeer" his father's powerful voice awakened him and he looked at him. "Is something bothering my son?" Ahmed asked noticing tiresomeness radiating off of his son's eyes. "Nothin Abbu" Zumeer mumbled ignoring his father's gaze as he started eating his omelette. "You look so weary" Ahmed spoke making Zumeer nervous. Zumeer looked at his father "why would i be?"

"Don't overwork" Ahmed patted his son who was sitting on his left, "Things take time. Don't be impatient" Ahmed told him before getting up from the table.

Zumeer nodded after his father had left. And he was truly vexed as he felt his mother's gaze on him now. He cleared his throat as he poured the juice into his finished glass. He glanced his mother as he brought the juice near his lips, "what happened Mom?" He chuckled after he had taken a sip, preparing himself for a scene.

"Your father is right. How didn't I notice that you are becoming weak and also that you are skipping your meals." His mother spoke worriedly. "I am all good" Zumeer spoke shaking his head, "you two need not to worry for me"

"I remember your glowing face on breakfast table" Amina whispered to herself but Zumeer heard a snippet. He went to his Mom who were sitting across and hugged her from behind, "Mommy trust me I'm fine" he tried to assure her but uneasiness had arose in her. She only nodded and kissed his son's forehead wishing him a nice day ahead.

Azeen watching them ate their breakfast and sometimes she would roll her eyes over Mother-son emotional scene.

Amina's anxiousness was not unreasonable. She was seeing her son struggling with something——something untold. Her only son was becoming so distant from her. Her son had become feeble and frail. He had become quite and would stay at his room or mostly at office.

◾️

At night he was done with his shower. Wearing only his sweatpants he came out of his washroom. Standing in front of his giant mirror he was drying up his hair with towel he heard a small knock. "Who's that?" Zumeer asked as the dryer blew his hair off.

"Your sister, idiot" Azeen replied and he could imagine her rolling her eyes.

"Hold on" Zumeer uttered grabbing his shirt that he had thrown on bed and wore it. He opened the door and got aside as she walked inside.

She placed a tray on dressing table, "Mom sent that" she told him. Then she grabbed a glass of warm chocolate flavoured milk and handed it to him. He didn't say anything but took it. Glass felt as warm as his mother's feelings. He smiled when saw she had brought one for herself too. "Eat those bread slices along", she ordered him like an instructor and he glanced her lifting his left eyebrow "what! Mom asked me that" she clarified.

She sat on sofa that laid in front of his bed. "Ya Allah you eat so slow and in so much a formal way" she complained him.

"Why? Were you expecting me to choke on my food?" He asked her as he put the empty glass down on the table.

"No, I just wanted to go out", she said innocently looking at her wristwatch "that is why i was asking you to hasten"

"Oh alright" he put the empty utensils in the tray again and handed it to her whilst walking back to his bed he asked "by the way who's taking you out?"

"What! Of course you"

"When did i say i was taking you out?"

She looked at him taken aback of what he had said but then she frowned, "so you are not taking me outside?"

"Definitely not, I have work to do, Azeen" he replied her seriously.

Her shoulders slumped down as excitement washed away from her face. He busied himself in his files.

"Fine. I'd go myself" She got up and left to kitchen to put the utensils down in sink and started washing these thinking for how  she could have punched her brother whilst he was immersed in his files deeply.

Zumeer completed studying the last red file he was holding. Putting it aside, he sighed slumping down in bed. Finally he summoned up his fleeing stamina and got out of bed. He put his arms in the jacket and threw it over his shoulders. He grabbed the keys from usual place which was sofa and stepped outside only to be welcomed by the cold, hushed and dark hallway. Only few lamps stood ignited in the corners.

Now he stood outside the next door. He swung it open after knocking and getting no response. He saw darkness scattered around. He walked inside according to the memorised track that lead to her bed even tho his eyes hadn't adjusted.

You sure are an idiot. Why wouldn't you turn on the lights from switchboard instead of walking like idiots, he scolded himself.

And as expected when he was walking back, he walked into something and the next second there was thud sound and he realised he had messed up now.

"Who is it?" Azeen's scared voice came as she turned on the lamps.

"Jin" Zumeer replied turning on the lights from switchboard and the room was lightened fully now. He settled the lamp which had crashed to the ground on its place, "by the way I thought you must have left by now because with the enthusiasm you walked out of my room was matchless" he sarcastically spoke.

She didn't answer only looked at him with angry expression.

He patted the side of her face, "lets go, Azeen"

Salam,

I want a brother like Zumeer😩

Do you want me to change Azeen's name?

~سدرہ