Chapter 4 - Dude the Mutt

Penny was talking to Ben at his locker

Penny was talking to Ben at his locker. They were supposed to be meeting up with Carlos soon so that Ben can help train him to be on the team. "I have to go finish a few things, but I'll meet you out on the field?" Penny nodded and the two hugged before heading different ways. Penny walked in to the girls' locker room and changed out of her dress and into an outfit she wears when working out. She put her hair in a ponytail and put her hat inside her bag, so it sat on top of everything else. She hasn't worked out for a week, mentally cursing at herself. Jogging over to the field, she put her things down before she began stretching.

After stretching, she began running laps around the field. She had her earphones in, blasting music, which made her focus on her running. Penny pushed herself when she was on her last lap, and when she finished, she had collapsed and was breathing heavily. "Penny?"

The brunette looked up to see Ben running over to her. "Penny? Are you okay?" Penny was gasping, trying to calm herself down. "It's. . . " Ben perfectly knew what his best friend was trying to say. "Are you sure?" "Yeah. It wanted to take over right now when I was pushing my limit."

"You want to take a break?"

Penny nodded and Ben helped her sit up. He watched his best friend breathe, desperately trying to not let it win. "Better?" Penny nodded and he helped her up. "What are you doing? I thought you would be here later?" "I finished early and was heading to go change when I saw you collapse." Penny nodded and Ben looked at her.

"Are you sure you're okay?"

"Yeah. I'll be fine. Go change." Ben nodded reluctantly and left the girl. Penny sighed and used her magic to set up an archery course. She grabbed a bow and a quiver of arrows and she loaded her bow. Taking a deep breath, the arrow pierced the air before it struck the board, bullseye. Penny smirked and fired again. Arrow after arrow, they all hit their mark. "You still got it." Penny jumped and turned to see Ben. The two laughed and they noticed Carlos making their way over. "Hey Carlos." "Hey Penny, Ben." Carlos watched in awe as Penny waved her hand and everything disappeared. Penny chuckled at his reaction and she told them that they would start off by stretching.

Carlos nodded and he did the same stretches that Penny was doing. Once they were done, Carlos helped her up, and Penny smiled at him. "Okay, Carlos." Ben unknowingly interrupted their moment. Penny felt herself blush as she cleared her throat and she went to go stand next to Ben. "We're going to start off by doing some sprints, okay?"

Carlos nodded and he walked over to the starting line. Penny noticed Dude, and the dog noticed the girl, and he began to make his way over. Ben blew his whistle, causing Dude to run. Carlos saw the small dog running their way, and he too began to run, but out of fear. "Wait! No!" Ben hadn't noticed, he thought that Carlos was just a fast runner.

Penny, however, noticed the boys' fear.

"Ben!"

Ben looked up to see Dude chasing Carlos, and Penny running after them. He then began to run over and he was a few feet behind Penny. "Carlos?" "Carlos?!" The two yelled out. "Penny? Ben?" They followed his voice to see Carlos hugging a tree for dear life - he was a few feet up from the ground - and Dude was playfully barking at Carlos.

"Carlos, what's wrong?" Ben asked, not knowing that Carlos was afraid of dogs. "He's going to chase me down and rip out my throat!" Carlos exclaimed. "This is a viscous, rabid, pack animal!" "Who told you that?" Ben and Penny asked in unison. "My mother," Carlos stated as if it were obvious. "Cruella?" Ben asked.

"She's a dog expert - a dog yellerer."

Penny bent down and picked Dude up.

"Penny, what are you doing?! Why are you holding him?! He's going to attack you!" Penny and Ben glanced at one another, and then they looked back at Carlos. "You've never met a dog, have you?" Ben asked. Carlos scoffed and said, "Of course not," which made Penny frown. "Carlos, this is Dude, the campus mutt. Dude, meet Carlos." Carlos noticed that Dude hadn't hurt Penny, in fact, the dog seemed to be smiling as he was in Penny's arms. "He doesn't seem like a viscous, rabid, pack aninal," Carlos admitted as he slowly climbed down the tree. "You're a good boy, aren't you?" Carlos cooed as he pet the dog. Penny smiled at him, then she handed Dude over to Carlos.

Carlos gladly took hold of Dude and smiled as he continued to pet him. "You guys have it really rough on the island, huh?" Penny asked, her eyes filled with sadness. "Yeah. Let's just say that we don't get a lot of belly rubs," said Carlos. Penny frowned and she placed her hand on Carlos' shoulder. "Good boy," said Ben.

Penny widened her eyes and Ben realized what he said.

"Uh, I mean, you're a good runner."

"Thanks."

Carlos had a genuine smile on his face, which made Penny smile.

Ben started to speak, but Penny placed her hand on his shoulder to steady herself. She felt the earth sway beneath her as her head began to pound and her breathing got heavier. "Penny?" Ben and Carlos asked in unison. They both began to worry for the girl, the only difference was that Ben knew what was wrong with Penny. "I'm - I'm okay. . . I need - I need to see Fairy - Fairy Godmother."

Ben nodded and noticed Carlos' worried expression. "Don't worry, she'll be fine. I'm going to go take her, why don't you two get to know each other. We'll let you know once she starts to feel better."

Carlos nodded and Ben picked Penny up bridal style and he began to jog over to Fairy Godmother's office. As soon as she saw the two, she ordered Ben to sit her down.

"It's happening again?"

"Yes. What can be triggering it?"

"I don't know. Get her some water."

Ben nodded and Fairy Godmother stood in front of Penny. Penny looked up, only for Fairy Godmother to gasp. "Your eyes, dear. They were pitch black for a moment." Penny gasped as she held her head and suddenly, she felt fine again. Ben handed her a water bottle nonetheless and Penny thanked him. "Is there any way we can contact your father?" "No. . . Tinkerbell visits whenever she can, and I don't know when the next time she's going to visit. . . We have to wait for Family Day." "Are you sure you can wait that long?" Ben asked as he knelt down in front of Penny. Penny paused for a moment before nodding.

"Yeah. . . I have to."