Chapter 7 - Spells and the Game

Penelope played her flute as she sat down, her back against a tree

Penelope played her flute as she sat down, her back against a tree. The tourney game would be starting soon, but Penny was waiting to see her four new best friends. Doug had joined her and he quietly did his homework as he also listened to the music. Really, everyone was listening to Penelope play a soothing tune with her flute. Ben had spotted her and waved, and she waved back and continued playing. "Hey, they're over there," Doug informed the girl. Penny had stopped playing and looked up to see her friends who were listening to her playing. She grinned and turned to Doug. "I'm going to go talk to them. Good luck."

Even though Doug was on the marching band, Penny still wished him luck.

She grabbed her things before flying over to the group of four. A group of girls had greeted Mal, and Jay was now talking to that group. "Hey guys." "Hey, Penny." "You play the flute amazingly." "Thanks." "Carlos/Penny?" The two asked in unison and they both chuckled. "Carlos, can I talk to you? It's kind of important."

The freckled boy nodded and they walked a little over to the side for some privacy.

"You look great," Carlos told her.

Penny blushed and thanked him.

"So, um. I was - I was wondering if you would like to be my date to the - to the coronation?" Carlos froze for a few seconds of shock, causing Penny to panic. "You don't have to, though. If you don't want to, it's totally fine - " "Penny?" Carlos cut her off. Penny stopped rambling as Carlos placed his hands on her shoulder, causing her to look him in the eyes.

"I'd love to be your date."

"Oh, thank God," Penny sighed in relief. "I mean, I wouldn't mind going dateless, but I'd rather not ask any of the guys here in Auradon. Anyway, what was it that you wanted to tell me?" "Oh, yeah. We saved you some of the cookies and brownies." Carlos motioned Evie over - who she, Mal, and Jay have been watching the two the entire time - and she smiled at them.

Penny didn't notice that the two switched bags, and Carlos gave her the bag full of cookies that weren't laced with a love potion. And of course, the brownies that she baked last night. "Ooh! Thanks, guys!" She had subconsciously kissed Carlos on the cheek before enveloping them each in individual hugs.

"Hey Benny boo!" Mal greeted Ben.

Penny had snorted and everyone chuckled at her as Ben made his way over. "Hey, guys. You should play more often, Penn, I haven't heard you play in weeks." "Thanks, and well, I've been a little busy. I'll definitely start playing again, though, I've missed it." Ben nodded and he turned to Mal. "So last night, we were making some cookies with Penny, and I saved you one," Mal offered the cookie to Ben. He smiled and Penny knew that he won't be taking it. "Oh, I would, but I don't eat before my games. I appreciate it, though. Thank you so much. Next time, yeah?"

"I get it, don't accept treats from villain kids. Looks like Penny trusts us more."

"No, I - "

"No, it's smart. Oh well, more for me."

Mal was going to take a bite out of the cookie, but Ben took it out of her hands and bit it. "See? Totally trust you." Evie called Penny over and the two complimented each other on their dresses. "You definitely look like your dad." "Aww, thanks, E. And I see you've finished the dress from yesterday. It came out beautifully."

"Thank you."

"Mal. . . Mal. . ."

Penny turned around to see Ben trying to sing Mal's name. "Ben? Are you seriously trying to sing Mal's name? Wow. Go get ready for the game, loser." Everyone chuckled at her and Jay and Carlos pulled Ben away. Mal and Evie looped their arms through Penny's and the three walked toward the bleachers for the game.

The three sat down next to one another and Lonnie joined them, sitting on the other side of Mal.

The game was rather intense and it was now the last quarter. Both teams were tied and it was coming down to the last few seconds. "This is a nail-biter, folks. There's 47 seconds left on the clock, and we're all tied up. The Sherwood Falcons, two, the Fighting Knights, two. What a game between Auradon's fiercest rival."

Penny noticed that the team were in a huddle and it looked like Jay was trying to get Carlos to play, but Carlos was refusing.

"C'mon, Carlos!"

Carlos looked up at the bleachers and his eyes fell on Penny who was in between two of his best friends. That made him nod and he and Jay jogged onto the field. "And now, a substitution. He's bringing in the hothead Jay in from the Isle of the Lost, and the little guy Carlos, who can barely hold a shield." Penny glared at the announcer, but it obviously went unnoticed by him, but the two girls by her side had noticed. "When they break from their huddles, this is going to be a big moment, here. And the tipoff is ready, here we go." Jay and Carlos worked together, but when Jay took the shot, the goalie caught it.

They began to work together again, but this time, with the help of Ben and Chad. "The ball goes back to Jay. He passed to Prince Ben - HE SCORES!" Everyone began to cheer, and Penny flew up into the sky. She let out a rooster call, but no one questioned her as they all kept cheering.

"Prince Ben has won it! What an unselfish play by Jay! What a team! Incredible! It's the new guys, Jay and Carlos, who set up the prince here for victory! What a victory!" The announcer had managed to say a few more things before Ben took hold of the mic. "Uh, I'd like to make an announcement." Everyone grew quiet as they waited for Ben to say something.

"Give me an M!"

"M!"

"Give me an A!"

"A!"

"Give me an L!"

"L!"

"What's that spell?"

"Mal!" Both Mal and Penny looked shocked and Ben began to sing his heart out. Penny noticed that Audrey ran off, but didn't feel sorry enough to go comfort her.

"I love you, Mal. Did I mention that?" Audrey then came over and stole the microphone out of Ben's hand. "Chad's my boyfriend, now. So I don't need your pity date." She then kissed Chad in front of everyone and Penny heard Evie gasp. Ben took the microphone back and turned to Mal. "Mal, will you go to the coronation with me?"

"Yes!"

"She said yes!"

Everyone began to cheer, but Mal, Evie, and Penny. "I feel really bad for Audrey," said Mal. "You do?" Both Evie and Penny asked. "Yeah. I feel like if she was really talented like you, and she knew how to sew and know beauty tips, she wouldn't need a prince to make her feel better about herself.

"I guess I am kind of talented," Evie admited. "Girl, you are gifted," Penny told her. "Thanks guys." Evie pulled them into a hug and they hugged back. They then descended the bleachers and Penny found Dude. She parted from the girls to go pet the dog and she smiled at him. "Carlos has basically stole you, and I never get to see you anymore." "Sorry about that." Penny jumped and looked up to see Carlos. "You can always find me and hang out. Dude is usually with me." Penny began to blush and she just nodded.

"Hey Penny?"

"Yes, Carlos?"

"Would - um - would you like to go on a date with me?"