Chapter 24 - Ordinary People

Penny snapped her fingers, and she was no longer in her leather outfit

Penny snapped her fingers, and she was no longer in her leather outfit. She felt as if she could breathe and she felt her demons slowly slipping away. Jay eventually parked the limousine and everyone got out. Lonnie opened the trunk and she grabbed the bag full of swords. "I'll take these back to the gym," Lonnie told Jay. "Okay. I'll see you later." Lonnie nodded and she walked away. "There you are!" They heard a voice. "Ben, come on. The Cotillion is tonight," Jane said as she rushed toward Ben. Ben looked over at Mal and Jane noticed. "Uh, I can come back later. . ." "No, no. Now is fine." Ben turned to the group. "Will you guys be okay?"

They all nodded and Ben smiled at them before following Jane. Evie approached Mal and Penny and looped her arms through theirs. "We need to talk," she told them, and the girls nodded. They began to walk away with Evie leading them.

"No."

The girls turned around and faced Carlos.

"No?" Evie asked.

"You guys are always going off in a huddle, whispering your girl talk stuff or whatever, and Jay and I are tired of it," Carlos told them. "I'm not," Jay tried to defend himself, but Carlos ignored him. "We're your family, too. We've been through a lot together, especially these last few days. And we're not stopping that now, okay? Everybody, sit."

The four shared a look of surprise before following Carlos' orders.

It was silent for a while and Carlos looked around the group. "I don't know how to start girl talk."

Jay tried to help by asking "What up?"

Mal took in a shakey breath and decided to speak first.

"Um, well, I'm a mess. I'm such a mess. I mean, six months ago, I was stealing candy from babies. And now, everyone wants me to be this Lady of the Court and I have no idea how to keep up the act."

Mal let out a breath, a breath that she did not know she was holding, and she began to feel better because she was lifting the weight off of her chest.

"Then don't," Carlos told Mal.

"He's right."

Everyone turned to Penny and she took hold of Mal's hand. "It took me so long to realize that I shouldn't care what people thought about me. You all remember when you met me? I didn't care what anyone thinks. The only thing that bothers me are the paparazzi and not giving me space to breathe. Trust me, being Royal Advisor is hard, but I love it. It took me a long time to transition from evil to good, and you were all forced to do it within six months. Everyone should've had common sense and let you guys get comfortable." Penny saw her dad and Felix and she sighed. "I have to go, but if any of you need to get something off your chest, I'm always here for you."

Penny looked around the group.

"I love you guys."

She smiled at them before getting up and walked toward her dad who enveloped her into a hug. "I'm glad the demons didn't win." "Yeah, me too." The two noticed Penny's behavior and how she and Carlos glanced at each other, longingly.