Chapter 32 - Stress; Penny's Best Friend

Penny stood in between her father and Felix

Penny stood in between her father and Felix. In the room with them was Fairy Godmother, Ben, Mal, Adam, and Belle. They decided to let Peter and Felix join them, and because Carlos is dating Penny, he would have been there, but he had to go help with the new kids. "I think we all know why we're here," Adam started. "The people are in a panic about Hades - he almost got out." "So, we're dealing with gods, now? That's - that's great, wonderful, really." Everyone ignored Penny's sarcasm. Whenever she gets nervous, sarcasm becomes her best friend. "Who knows what he would've done if he had escaped?" Fairy Godmother asked. Penny nodded.

"Mal and I barely put him back in, only because the barrier wasn't open all the way. . . And we caught him by surprise. If he were to escape, my dad, Mal, and I won't be enough. He's a god, for crying out loud."

Everyone was silent with Penny's words. When she wasn't sarcastic, she spoke the truth. Everyone knows that Hades is a god, and the only way to defeat him, is with another god, but no god would help them. They're all too busy. That's the thing with being a god.

"I really feel like this is my fault." Everyone turned to Mal and Penny frowned. "I'm supposed to protect Auradon." "You did. You do protect Auradon," Ben reassured his fiancé. "Every time we open that barrier, we're exposed to danger. Maleficent. Uma. Hades." Adam spoke, and he was right.

When Jane accidentally opened the barrier, Maleficent attacked them. When they went to bring back Mal, Uma jumped through and almost brought the barrier down. And now that they went to go get some kids, Hades almost escaped and he attacked Mal. Ben's phone rang and he quickly answered it. Penny walked over and offered her hand to Mal, who took it.

"Maleficent's scepter and the Queen's crown have been stolen."

"Uma."

"No," Peter and Penny said in unison. "We would've known if someone else stepped foot in Auradon," said Peter as he put a hand on his daughter's shoulder. "It's like Neverland." "He's right. It wasn't Uma."

"You said your magic was wearing off, so Uma did steal it and you guys didn't feel it," said Adam. Penny frowned when she was reminded that her magic was slowly slipping away. Why? She has no idea. Ben saw his best friend frown, and he stepped forward. "Penny's magic was - is - working perfectly, dad. So we don't know if it really was Uma," Ben defended his best friend.

Belle stepped forward. "When the people hear this, they will never want to leave their homes. What do we tell them?" Belle then turned to Mal, and Penny saw the desperation in the former Queen's eyes. "Mal? What do we do? How do we keep evil out of Auradon?" Everyone turned to Mal for an answer. Mal squeezed Penny's hand, and Penny squeezed back.

"I think that there's only one way to guarantee their safety. I think that there can't be anymore going in and out." Mal hesitated to say the next part, but she kept going. "I think we have to close the barrier forever."

"No."

"Son."

"Ben," Penny tried to calm him, but Ben shook his head and took a few steps back, so Mal walked over. "Ben. Hey. I don't want to take away your dream because it was so beautiful. And that's why I fell in love with you, but as King and Queen, what is our duty?"

"To protect Auradon."

"I agree with Mal, it's too dangerous. . . But what about those kids?" Penny asked, walking toward the couple. "They were counting on us."

"I know, Penny, but we have to do whatever is necessary to protect Auradon. I'm sure you can understand that."

"Penny, son. . . Mal is right."

"I just don't think we can forgive ourselves if something terrible happened," said Mal, and that was enough to have Ben and Penny agree with closing the barrier forever. It was quiet for a moment before Penny excused herself and left the castle.

☆ ☆ ☆

Penny had made her way over to her house and walked in.

Penny was upset. Not only were they leaving innocent children on that Island, but her magic wasn't working. She didn't let it show, but she felt exhausted after the incident with Hades. Angered, she threw a vase at the wall and sat down on the couch with her head in her hands. Penny wanted to cry, and she started crying, but felt someone go near her house.

The door opened and there was a small voice.

"Penny?"

Penny sniffed and wiped her tears away. "In here, Toodles." A young boy, no older than ten, walked inside and saw Penny. "Penny? Are you okay?" Penny sniffed again and held her hands out for the boy.

"Yeah, I just had a stressful day, is all." Toodles grabbed Penny's hands and Penny pulled him into a hug. "Babe?" "In here, love." "Hey, why is the - " but Carlos stopped himself as he saw his girlfriend with tears in her eyes and Toodles in his lap. Carlos had a sad smile on his face and he walked over and kneeled down in front of the two.

"Hey, pal."

"Hi, Carlos. Can you make my mommy feel better? She had a bad day." Carlos chuckled and his eyes met with brown ones. "Yeah, I'll make sure you're mommy's okay." Toodles cheered and jumped off of Penny's lap. He then pulled Carlos over and whispered in his ear, "She really likes you."

"And I really like her."

Toodles giggled before leaving the house, both teenagers giggling too. As soon as the child was gone, Penny's smile faded and Carlos frowned. He then smiled, trying to lighten the mood. "I still find it cute that the Lost Boys call you their mother or Queen." "Well. . . I'm a mother figure for the younger ones." Carlos grabbed hold of Penny's hand and he kissed the back of her hand. "What's wrong?" Penny sighed and snuggled into her boyfriend. Carlos wrapped his arms around her and kissed her forehead as he patiently waited. He hates seeing Penny upset, so he wants to do his best to make her happy again. "They want to close the barrier forever."

Carlos certainly wasn't prepared to hear that.

"What?"

"I mean. . . Maleficent got out the first time, then Uma, and Hades almost got out yesterday. I see why they want to do this, but. . . All those kids! They're innocent! They're not evil, you four were the most 'evil', and even then, you guys weren't that bad. I just - I now feel like we're abandoning them. All on that horrible Island."

It was silent, and Penny decided to tell him. "Maleficent's scepter and the Queen's crown have been stolen. Adam thinks it's Uma, but I would've felt it if Uma stepped foot." "Wait, someone stole them? And if it wasn't Uma - "

"Then it was someone from inside."

Carlos sighed and rubbed his face. "Who else knows?" "No one," Penny admitted. "Although, I feel like Mal is definitely going to tell Evie." Carlos only nodded and he kissed her neck. "How are you? I know yesterday exhausted you. . . You don't have to hide it from me, Penny. We're a team."

Penny smiled before sighing.

"I am exhausted. At times, I feel my magic, but then I don't. I really need to talk to my shadow or Tink soon. Because not even dad knows what's happening to us." Carlos sighed and then turned to his girlfriend.

"I want you to go and take a bath, get rid of your stress. Meanwhile, I'll clean up the vase and make you some tea." Penny smiled and cupped Carlos' cheek. "What would I do without you, my love?" "Mmm. Probably not know how to handle life because I make it much more amazing and interesting." The two laughed and Penny lightly slapped his arm. Carlos smiled down at her before pulling her into a passionate kiss.

"I love you, Penny."

"I love you, Carlos."

"Now get your cute little butt in the bathtub."

"And the moment is ruined."