Chapter 18 - Mal's Gone

Penny cried for a few more hours before she ran out of tears

Penny cried for a few more hours before she ran out of tears. She just wanted to stay there. No, she wanted to go to Neverland, but she knew that she eventually had to fix things with Carlos. The brunette sighed and splashed water onto her face. She then flew over to the dorms and went in through the window to see a mess in their room - more messy than how Penny had it - and Evie standing with a piece of paper in her hand. "Evie? What's wrong?" Evie said nothing and she handed the paper over to Penny. Penny glanced over at Evie before reading the note. Her eyes widened and she stumbled over to her bed.

"She left?"

Evie only nodded.

Penny felt the tears coming back, but she pushed them down.

After Mal had left Carlos and Jay's room, she ran into Ben at her locker and he gave her a gift. She stared at awe at the purple motorbike and Ben had reminded her of their date for that day. Mal had completely forgot about it, but didn't want to upset Ben.

So, she went to the kitchen, made a peanut butter and jelly sandwich before using her magic to make multiple dishes. Ben had found her spellbook in the basket and he blew up on her. To be fair, Ben never asked how Mal was handling everything. Yeah, Mal talked to Penny about it, but she wanted to talk to her boyfriend about it.

She couldn't, though.

Ben was always busy, Mal was being surrounded by paparazzi, everyone expects her to now be perfect, and with the Cotillion plus twenty other events, Mal had finally broke down. After their failed date and their fight, Mal ran to her shared room crying, a minute after Penny had flown out the window crying.

Mal poked holes into a box before crying even more. "I don't belong here," she told herself. She put her mother into the box before packing a bag and changing out of her dress and in to an outfit that was fit more for the Isle. She used the motorbike Ben gave her and her spellbook to get back to the Isle.

Yes, she will miss the boys, Evie, and Penny, but she wrote them a letter, explaining everything. And she even left Ben's ring that he gave her on Coronation day.

Penny bit back the tears and she grabbed Evie's hand before leading them out. "Where are we going?" Evie asked the brunette. "To Ben. We have to tell him and bring Mal back." Evie nodded, but then stopped.

"What's wrong?"

"What if we get stuck there?"

"Evie, I promise that you and Mal will never get stuck there ever again." Evie saw the truth in Penny's eyes and nodded. "Okay. Let's go find Ben." Penny nodded and they continued on their way over to Ben's office. "Have you and Carlos made up?" "No. We had another fight today. . . I honestly don't even know if we're still together. Anyway, that's not the problem we should be worrying about." The two arrived to Ben's office and Penny knocked on his door. Within seconds, it opened to reveal the King. "Penny, Evie. Come in." Ben opened the door wider and let the two girls enter his office.

"So, what brings you two here?"

Evie tried to speak, but no words would form. Penny squeezed her hand before taking a breath in and faced Ben. "There's no easy way to say this. Mal went back to the Isle." Ben shook his head. "What? No. Nice prank, Penny. Where is she, really?"

"She took the clothes I made for the Isle when we were supposed to go back after the coronation," Evie spoke up. "And Mal's scooter is gone. All she left was this. . ." Evie gave the letter to Ben, along with the ring. "What about the control of the bridge and the barrier?" Ben asked after he read the letter.

"You forget that she has magic," started Penny, "she could have easily found a way back."

"This is my fault. I know that Mal left because I was pressuring her to be nice and perfect. And then we got into a fight today when I found her spellbook. That must have been the last strike for her. . ." Penny looked at Ben in sympathy and Ben looked down at his best friend.

"Penny. I'm not even sure how you're still here. I honestly thought you would've left by now from all the pressure."

"Yeah, it sucks, but I still have a job to do. I've had much more time than Mal to adjust from being evil to turning good."

Ben looked at the two and he sighed.

"I have to go there and apologize. I have to go there and - and beg her to come back." Evie huffed and stepped forward, but she still gripped onto Penny's hand.

"Okay, Ben, it doesn't matter what romantic or heroic thing you do, you cannot go to the Isle of the Lost. You'll never find her. And even if you do, do you really think the people there will let the King just sneak in and leave without a fight?"

"I have to try. I have to try to bring her back," Ben told her.

"You may know about the Isle, but you don't understand it and you never will. Penny has a better chance, honestly, but you don't know how it works, what it's like living there, what it takes to survive. . . And you. . . You won't last five minutes there."

Ben looked in between the two girls and he knew what he had to do. Yes, it can be risky, but he wants - no, he needs Mal back.

"Then come with me. Both of you."

"What?"

"Evie, you've lived on the Isle and you're one of the few people here that know it better than anyone else. And Penny, we know about your past. We need you to help us. You can intimidate people, but I won't force you to do it. Please, girls, help me bring Mal back." The two girls looked at one another and Penny squeezed Evie's hand in reassurance, telling the girl that she'll be with her no matter what. Evie let out a breath and she looked at Ben. "Fine. Just know that I'm doing this for her because she's my best friend." "And she's my best friend too. I'm not letting you guys do this alone," Penny added.

"And we'll bring the boys too, because there's safety in numbers, and none of us are really too popular over there right now."

"Thank you."

"But let's get two things straight," Evie started. "You have to promise me that none of us are going to get stuck there again."

"I promise."

"And they'll have to get through me if any of them want to get to you guys," Penny told her best friend. Evie smiled at her and then turned to Ben. "And there's no way you're going like that." Evie told them the plan and she immediately went to their room to start working on a quick outfit for Ben. It was still light out, so they would be going at night to avoid being seen.

Ben was to stay in his office and Penny had the pleasure of telling the boys. She knocked on their door and Jay opened it. "Hey, Penny." Penny walked in and shut the door. She and Carlos exchanged awkward glances before she took in a breath of air. "Mal went back to the Isle. Ben wants to go after her, so we're all going. Change into the outfits Evie made for you guys and meet at our room at midnight."

She didn't even let them say a word before she left the dorm. The brunette sighed but then gasped when someone appeared in front of her. "Dad!"

"You're going to the Isle?"

Penny sighed and nodded, knowing that she could never lie to him.

"Well, I need to tell you a few things. Our magic is much more powerful than Fairy Godmother's wand, so you'll still be able to use your magic over there. . . Be careful, and don't let your demons win."

Penny pulled her father into a hug and he hugged her back.

"Don't worry. I won't."