-8-

1105 words

Chapter 8 - Pumpkin Bread

Lying is weird. I hate lying. Yet I do it everyday. People should be honest, maybe a white lie or two is okay, but people are hurt because of lies. In so many ways.

People say they're okay.
People say they are normal.
People tell you you're not good enough.
People tell you you're not pretty.

People lie a lot.

Mostly to themselves.

"Don't get that... you promised."

My first instinct is to try to avoid the subject, which I try. "I'm finishing the project later, and I'm sorry about yesterday I'm a real pain and you shouldn't have to deal with me."

After realizing I forgot how to stop speaking I look down, expecting him to make fun of me. Cause of course Kingston sees me now. He stares at me with eighteen emotions at least swirling around in his eyes as though they were a mixing pit creating a love potion, before chuckling.

That's how he gets girls to fall for him....

His eyes and his smile. His perfect smile...

"Spaz." He says before taking a step closer and grabbing the razor blades out of my hands and placing them on the shelf. Staring me directly in the eyes with his round blue ones, his eyelashes frame his eyes perfectly. They're beautiful—I hate to say it—just like him.

He towers above me, standing at 6'4" while I'm only 5'3". His proximity is close before he looks at me dead in the eyes.

His face is relaxed as he breathes in a deep breath and looks at me. "Dont hurt yourself." He says before slowly grabbing my arm and making his way to my wrist.

He brings up my black sleeve and sees the bandage. "You can take this bandage off soon, just wait maybe a day or two. It will hurt but it will also heal quickly if they are not that deep." He says.

He brings my arm closer and looks at it sadly. Something flashes through his eyes as he stares at my hand. I know what he's feeling though, he's remembering something he doesn't want to remember.

I reach up and put my other hand on his shoulder, shaking a bit his eyes snap towards me. "I know what just happened." I say almost shocked and he shakes his head.

He stares me in my eyes just like he was before. He leans down so his face is closer to me and his jaw clenches.

"No you don't, Darling." He says his face full of the only emotion I've felt for a while, sadness. He pauses before his face softens,

"Except hopefully where they put the bakers bread River sent me to buy?" He asks, looking around the store he knows nothing about. That's one way to ask for help.

"It's down the aisle four lanes right, behind the door next to the sweets. The pumpkin bread is the best in town." I say before turning and walking towards the checkout aisles.

I feel his blue gaze on the back of my head, as I turn he doesn't stop staring. Just... his face as he turns and leaves sticks in my brain.

"Excuse me, Summer?" Tyler, the cashier, asks.

"Oh, yes, sorry?"

"$26.87,"

"Thank you, Ty."

"Ty... you haven't called me that since we were kids and I would see you come in here."

"Well I guess I've changed, huh?"

"I guess you have.. does it have something to do with him?" He says signaling to a slowly descending Kingston. He still has no idea where the bakers bread is....

I chuckle, "Maybe... Thank you, Ty."

"No thank you! I haven't seen you in so long. You look as beautiful as ever, have a great day."

I grab my bags and exit the old store that I've seen for so long. Walking down the sidewalk next to the parking lot full of beaten down cars. Downtown Denmore.

I chuckle before getting onto the sidewalk on the road to my house, Hawk street. Since I've only ever lived on this street, I find it beautiful.

The trees in the spring are in full bloom with partly cloudy skies and beautiful green grass and flowers. My dad is a bit happier then, he gives me breaks sometimes.

Spring is my favorite.

It's winter now, Hawk street is empty and all the children are inside their warm homes. Mine is empty and cold, my dad only fixes things at work so the ac doesn't work, lights are out, and we get a lot of thunderstorms in Denmore.

But it's so beautiful in spring.

As I get to my house I can hear my dad inside, mumbling next to the door. I open the door slowly and quickly hit my dad with the door.

"SUMMER," He throws open the door, damaging the already damaged wall next to the door. He evilly smirks and shakes his head. "You. Hit. Me."

Well no shit Sherlock

"I'm sorry, sir. I got the groceries." I say and his body relaxes a little bit more as he gestured me in. "Cook lunch." He says and I nod quickly.

"I got your favorite, sir." I say and he nods before closing the door. "It better not be shit or you're in deep shit."

Well that was a lot of shits that I don't give

I get to the kitchen and began cooking again, the kitchen calms me. I love cooking all together if you haven't noticed yet, I'd love to become a chef if I make it that long. That's a big if though...

I chop some lettuce and tomatoes, toasting some bread in the toaster and making lemon grass chicken. I put some pepper on the chicken and cut it before putting it onto the bread with a sufficient amount of mayonnaise.

Putting all of the vegetables and other 'fillings' in between the bread layers. I put it on the plate with a salad on the side and serve it to my dad on his spot next to the island.

I smile a very fake smile to him as I go to the wall next to the door to examine the damage he had done earlier, the hole from the round door knob digs deep into the wall forming a giant black hole.

Suddenly, like always something bad had to happen in my life, the door bell rings through the house making my dad scream my name while chewing a mouthful of bread and lettuce.

I nod and open the door I was right next to.

Oh...

What the heck?!