-20-

1284 words

Chapter 20 - Yesterday

I sit at the couch, looking at the sad empty Christmas tree in the dark. I think about it a moment, maybe I could do the Christmas tree with my mom like I used to.

Though it'll be weird to not be scared of getting the worst beating of the year on Christmas Day. I grab my crutches from the side of the couch and painfully start walking to my moms room, the stairs being a real struggle.

I open the door, my mom and Halo very aggressively making out on the bed. I gag, looking away before knocking on the door.

"Oh umm..." She says looking at Halo and Halo nods, "What do you want?" My mom says coldly and I look at her with shock. I didn't think she would've Done that, she never used to do that.

"I was wondering if you wanted to do the tree with me?" I smile at her and she shakes her head and leans back, "Ask Kingston to do it." She says and I look at my feet, wringing my hands.

"He's not been here the last few days because of some family stuff." I say, she quickly retort back angrily a "Text him." Making me sigh.

"I don't have a phone." I say and she sighs before getting up and looking at me, giving me a sarcastic smile, and closing the door in front of my face. My nose grazing the wood in front of me.

I hear on the other side of the door Halo's giggles, "I knew you could do it." I faintly hear from the other side of the door, I shake my head. My mom is probably in a bad mood.

She used to get in those, everybody does.

I walk back downstairs, putting on a tree ornament one at a time onto the tree. I do it until it's white lights are surrounded by red, white, and green ornaments: an angel sits at the top which I look up at.

If there is a god, whatever plan he has for me is awfully weird.

I sit back down, crossing my legs in front of me and looking outside, the snow calling me. But I don't know if I'll answer.

I'm probably just paranoid.

Or my mom hates me because who doesn't?

Kingston doesn't.

We agreed a couple days ago he's using us it's the same thing.

I chuckle at my brain for saying 'we' even though there's only me. Nonetheless the loneliness hasn't subsided, my mom barely hangs out with me.

Though Kingston does, but like 'we' agreed he's probably just using me.

I stare out the window. The snow is white, refreshing everyday from the snow falling overnight filling the holes I created in the sheet of ice.

I grab Kingston's hoodie he left for me, wrapping it around my body and getting up from the couch. I stumble out of the house, sitting at the porch and looking off at the things happening on Hawk street.

Kids and parents playing in snow, an abandoned bike sitting in an abandoned houses driveway. But I will say, Winters here aren't very pretty other than the pure white snow that eventually turns muddy. Springs are beautiful. Always are.

The seasonal cherry blossoms are the only thing that lights up downtown denmore, or at lest the west side.

I think about everything, sitting out in the cold and watching as time passes, clouds moving, children happy.

Everything in my life changed in a day, it shows how much something can change. It can all change, every. Single. Bit.

Even the ones you think couldn't leave.
Wow.