-14-

Chapter 14 - Alone

People say it all the time, that they are alone. But really, I'm alone. The darkness that laid over me when my dad was here, is still looming over me.

It makes me wonder if I'll ever be happy again, or if it was too late. I guess I've always been a wimp, this is a prime example of it.

The smile in my face drops, I look away from Kingston.

Im alone.

It's all I can think. My dad is gone, he's the last one who at least recognized me as his family. My sister is dead. My mom left me. I'd rather be left with my dad than alone.

Kingston looks at me concerned from my peripherals. "Darling...." He looks at me as if he realized that I was sad immediately. He takes the blanket off of him when he sees the goosebumps rising on my arms from the cold weather.

Without speaking, his eyes search my face as I look at him. As if he can see straight through me. But right now I'm cold, tired, and utterly alone.

I curl up in a ball, Kingston staring at me as he holds one of my hands. And I know he can tell what's wrong, he can tell everything now. Because he knows my secret.

The music in his ears plays softly, loud enough for me to hear. But I can't pin down the song.

Maybe he wouldn't mind coming on the bed with me? Just so I could listen to the song...

Slowly I open my eyes, staring back at Kingston. "Can I listen?" I ask him, not realizing that I actually said it to him. "You would get a real kick out of getting me in your bed, huh?" He asks teasingly and I shake my head.

"Nope." I say, popping the 'p' which he just smiles and shakes his head to. "Fine, then I want to crawl onto it." He pouts and I smile, giggling like a smitten school girl. I haven't laughed in so long I guess that's just what it sounds like.

He smiles at me, loving my laughter.

His smile is amazing, his nose scrunching up and his eyes brighter than ever. He's happy with me.

He hands me an earbud and the song starts playing through my ears, teenager in love, a song I love. I haven't listened to music in so long, but I love older music: The Beach Boys, Paul Anka, the Beatles.

Slowly I close my eyes, humming to the song. I think so many girls in his position would want him to get onto their bed and put his arms around them. Probably do other things.

But I'm not like those girls. I don't want to be another one of the girls that he charms into getting into their bed.

He doesn't get me, maybe he is the person who is closest to understanding but he's Kingston.

He probably hates me And loves attention.
He's probably using me to get in the newspaper some more.
As if his rich family is not enough publicity.

He leaves his phone at my side, playing music quietly in my ears before he sits down on one of the chairs again, looking out the window.

Right before I fall asleep a light knock on the door rises my attention, groggily I rub my eyes and say, "Come in."

A young doctor comes in, her hair is a long and black with brown eyes. "Ms. Cynthia?" She asks but I just groggily say "Your hair is beautiful." she smiles at me, "Thank you hun." She says and I nod.