-37-

2045 words

Chapter 37 - The Dance

There are some people you know you can count on, for me that isn't my parents, maybe at one point it was though. Right now I only trust my friends, and River's family. I think it's the biggest group I've ever had.

To think that people care is weird after all I've went through but, to be blunt, I'm use to it now. I love it, I love them.

One of them more than the others.

I sit at the lunch table, everybody freaking out about the formal tomorrow though it would never be as big as prom where last year Madeline bought all of her friends the same car so there dates could bring them in matching cars.

Yea upstaters are wacky.

I eat left over food from last night, specifically the hamburger that Pho refused to eat. I was about to take another bite when Kingstson steals it from my hands.

I look up at him with wide eyes but he doesn't care as he takes a bite of my burger with no remorse.

I punch his shoulder as he sets it down and I look at him with a pure death glare. "rude.." I say and he chuckles, "Okay, Darling, be angry but when I die of hunger because I didn't eat one hamburger don't go crying to me." He says and I furrow my eyebrows.

"I wouldn't cry over your dead body anyway." I say and he picks me up slightly making me giggle as he growls. "rude." He mocks and I chuckle.

"Can you guys stop flirting I'm trying to eat," Miah says with a chuckle. Melanie shushes her, "No keep going I love it." She says and Kingston shakes his head, "That sounds creepy dear." He says and she goes wide eyed.

"Well- I- Summie's dress is really pretty!" She says with nervous laughter trying to get the attention off her. I look down at my hands and she mouths sorry before taking a fry from my plate.

"Why is everybody stealing my food?" I ask and Miah takes a fry too, making everybody steal a fry from my plate. "Wow okay thanks," I say looking at my puny pile of fries.

"Now my fries aren't even thic. They're thick." I say and Miah laughs, patting my back. "That wasn't funny." She says and I nod, "I'm just trying to make Kingston stop wondering what my dress looks like." I say making Kingston be pulled out of his imagination going a little red.

"I made him blush! I made him blush!" I exclaim and they all cheer as he growls at me, though it's incredibly sexy its also a sign of victory. He grabs my hips and pulls me over him.

He moves his mouth to my ear and whispers lowly, "I bet you look fucking hot in it huh?" He says and I go red.

"I made her blush!" He mocks and I roll my eyes, rubbing against him a little more than needed when I get off his lap.

And when he covers his lap with his hands I wink.

He leans in, "Tease." He whispers as he places his hand on my thigh.

---

I look at myself in the mirror of my bathroom, I put on makeup. Not a lot, but I like it. I feel pretty. Not because I don't feel pretty all the time, because sometimes I do. But I like this.

I put on some clear lip gloss, did my eyebrows and my eyelashes. I also put on a bluish highlighter on my cheeks, nose, and inner corner of my eyes.

Melanie did silver makeup, and Miah did Red. They were both looking beautiful as we changed into our prom dresses.

Mine was just as I remembered it. I smoothed our the edges, looking at myself in the mirror, my hair done naturally down. Everybody loved the spring formal because it was like a duplicate of prom. A practice round.