-21-

1520 words

Chapter 21 - The Laydree's

You know that feeling when you hear some news you'd never expect, like a family member passing or, in this case, your mom leaving you.. again. To be adopted...

But the feeling, it's a mix of pain, sadness, anger, and numbness. All combining at once to make an unwanted concoction that nobody wants.

That leaves you, me, feeling awfully horrible. A feeling that could change everything.

I lay on the couch, my own breathe the only thing I can hear. Everything always goes wrong, I can't have a good life. Tears threaten to spill from my eyes but I won't let them, I'm not crying over her.

Never again.

The door squeaks open and I painfully jolt up to see if it was a joke if everything was just to see my reaction and she's back.

But Kingston and River come in with a concerned look on their faces. Kingston sees me and I slouch down on the couch, curling up into a ball again.

Kingston walks around the couch until he's crouched in front of me, while River goes up and does something in the kitchen. "What is wrong, and why are you in a fetal position?" He asks and i glare at him, "Its comforting." I say blankly, making him chuckle before putting a cold hand on my warm arm.

I shiver and he gives me a nod and takes his hands off, sitting in front of me on the ground with his knees pushed up against his hard chest.

His silence plays as a question in my head, "She did it again." I say slowly, making him furrows his eyebrows and stare at me with confusion. "She left me; she said I reminded her too much of my dad." I say and his jaw drops, only a millimeter at most but the reaction is one I'll remember and noticed very quickly.

His eyes look full of realization or something.

But that doesn't make sense.

He grabs my hand with his, my hand warming his up from being in the cold winter, "That is not true. You are not like your dad." He says and I shake my head, tears in my eyes.

I sit up, still holding his hand as he gets up and sits in front of me. "She knows me better than anyone else, she knows what happened which you're the only other person to know.

"Maybe she's right, what if I'm gonna grow up to be a fucked up person." I say, "What if nobody wants to adopt me, I am almost eighteen." Kingston sighs and all he does in return is lean in so his body is resting over mine, his arms wrapped around me in a hug.

One that I'm not gonna deny no matter how much my subconscious is telling me to, because it feels right.

His cold minty breath fans upon my ear and neck as he whispers, "Don't cuss," softly in my ear.

I stifle a giggle and he smiles, one that radiates warmth off of his cold body. "Darling..." He asks and I nod, only focusing on his voice because it's the last stable thing in my life... right now at least...

"Answer me." He demands, and I nod while saying, "Yea?" He looks up at me like a puppy, different from his normal strong man thing he has going on.

Maybe we are becoming more friendly than I realized, he has hung out with me most of the winter break. I'd expect him to be with Reid and River.

"...you can live with me." River says and I turn to look at him with pure surprise and concern on my face.

He stands in the kitchen while Kingston's eyes watch over mine. "Nonononono, that's to much to ask of you and I barely even know you I mean I do know you pretty well like more than anybody else right now but that's not three point I just can't do that you have a life and-" as if out of nowhere through my blabbering a hand is pushed over my mouth.