-28-

1485 words

Chapter 28 - Lilah

As I said before, most people have best friends. The only person I'm friends with is River, something I never would have expected. But here I am making another friend.

So Lilah, you're different, but you're pretty chill.

I walk into the lunch room, River at my side, most girls not giving me stares but whispering, knowing I'm not a threat. But they're more confused why River would hang out with me.

And I am too, I never expected him to care about me during school. I guess it would have probably hurt my feelings, but he's surprised me a lot.

I sit down next to Kingston and Lilah, River sitting close with and Reid and the girls. I smile at my lap, I haven't had friends in so long. Kingston puts his finger under my chin, lifting my head up and smiling.

"You need some food?" Kingston asks, pushing my hair behind my ear so I can see him from my peripherals. "I'm fine." I say with a shrug.

"Summer, Darling, please get some food." He says, leaning in and kissing my neck, like he did before, long and slow. Meaningful.

I at up, ruffling his hair and giving him a lopsided smile.

As I walk to the food court, I unconsciously run my fingers along the place Kingston kissed, my heart beating faster.

God... I loved that.

I love him, that's all I know, no matter what way, I love him. I'm just not willing to find out which way now.

I wait in line, a group of girls coming up to my side while I get my food. Each of them getting their own. "Hey, Summer." I hear a familiar voice say in my ear.

I look up to see Madeline and her friends staring at me with plastered on smiles. "It's lovely to see you, you really had a glow up didn't you." She says and I shrug.

I pay for my food, walking down the pathway and heading towards the table, her by my side. "We wanted to ask for you to sit by us?" She says, grabbing my arm so I look at her.

"Please, don't touch me." I say, and she removes her hand with a passive aggressive smile. "Oh so sorry for that, didn't mean to startle you." She says and I shake my head.

"It's fine, but I'd rather sit next to my friends." I say, one of the girls by her side giggling, "Friend?" She mumbles sarcastically, the other friend saying something in her ear as they stop talking.

"Oh that's fine, but this is a one time thing. If you don't join the group then how can I trust you with River." She says, a fake innocent tone lining her voice.

"I'm sorry but I've got to sit down." I say, rushing in between lunch tables to get to River and Lilah. I finally sit down, taking a deep breath.

"You Okay?" Lilah asks, "If you want I can break a bitch-" I cut her off with a giggle. River looks at me with a curious smile as I start laughing. "She wanted me to sit with her!" I say and River smiles at my reaction, eating his food.

"Well ain't She a dumb bitch." Lilah says, Kingston looking up at Lilah and nodding. "We already knew that." He says and we start laughing, everybody except an emotionless Reid who seems to be staring at his phone. The occasional smile peeking on his lips.

I take a bite of my salad, looking at River as he chuckles. He eats some of the food El packed up for him earlier, I stare at him with a smirk. I look down at his food, then up at him, repeatedly.

He guards his food with his arms, his eyes never leaving mine as a small smile forms on his lips. "Gimme gimme!" I say, pouncing over his arms at his food but he grabs it and holds it over his head.