-10-

Chapter 10 - Winter Break

Some people wait the entire year for the two chances at breaks from a school, winter break and summer break. I find that stupid, by the time it's the middle of summer you have no idea what to do with your life. Maybe for most people winter break is exciting, though.

But Christmas is the day my mom left, and my dad does not like to remember that.

And today is the day when winter break starts.

I wake up to the light shining through the blinds of my windows, the dark sunrise in winter barely lighting up the dust in my dark room. My alarm lightly goes off next to my ear.

I get up quickly making me wait a second because of the fog in my head from the sudden movement. I feel a little nervous today, with Kingston's sudden outburst yesterday.

But he knows nothing. People think they do and that's why I'm labeled the No-Face girl or the nerd or the quiet girl. People don't know anything.

I put on a different pair of jeans today, with a black long sleeve shirt that I found in the abyss of my closet. I put all of my stuff in my bag and go to the bathroom.

I brush my teeth quickly with some water, toothpaste isn't very likely to find here. I redo the bandages around my wrists and brush my hair with my fingers before putting a hat on top.

Once I leave the bathroom the clouds have filled the sky as I open the blinds to my cracked window. Slowly snow falls next to the window, it lightly feathering the ground in the cold temperature.

I close my windows when I hear my dads mumbling from outside my door as he walks down the hall. "Summer make me breakfast." He grumbles and I scrunch up my nose in disgust, where did he get the hating of morning from.

I love the mornings.
The cold.
The not being beaten because my dad is too tired.
The cooking.

I love all of that.

I open my door and head down the stairs, the creaking signaling to my silent dad in his rocking chair that I'm here. "Eggs." He demands and I ring my hands together while I mumble out, "We don't have eggs, we have oatmeal and vanilla waffles, sir?" I ask him but he abruptly stands up and looks at me with red fuming eyes.

"I want EGGS. You just went to the store you useless piece of shit so go make me eggs or I'll beat the shit out of you." He says and stares me directly in the eyes.

He's more snappy during this time. Not having fresh eggs I find a carton of egg whites and cook those while adding some vegetables for him.

I would've chosen the waffles.

I serve them to him slowly, not sure if he'll throw something at me out of nowhere. He starts eating them slowly, until his eyes snap up to me. "You said we didn't have eggs." He growls and I nod.

I gulp before starting, "Well we didn't, those are egg whites-" but he stops me by getting up angrily and slamming fist against the table. "I wanted FUCKING eggs. Whole eggs." He says before throwing the entire plate at me and angrily.

The plate cashed against my head leaving a gash to bleed into my eyes, broken glass covering the ground around me. "Clean this up then leave." He growls before standing up harshly and stumbling up to his room like a toddler with anger issues.

He is a toddler with anger issues.

The blood flows down my forehead, pain flaring through my nerves as I scrunch up my nose and clean up the blood and glass on the ground, happy there is no glass in my eyes.