Chapter 48

The Day Before The Battle

Brooke hurriedly pulled her thick curls into a high messy bun when she predicted the weather to be rough the day before the battle approached, not wanting it to get in the way. While she had been banned from going to the battle field, something she had not protested on at all since she knew her presence there wouldn't help matters in the slightest, that didn't mean she wasn't getting involved wherever it was possible that she could.

When it had been arranged by both Sam and Jacob she had insisted that she wanted to be present when they trained for the last time, and while her Jacob had been objective at first he had quickly hushed up when she had reminded him that she was already following his request when he had told her to stay away when the battle came. Clearly he knew when to pick his battles and when to fight them.

Smiling to herself at the thought Brooke made sure to dress warmly, buttoning her coat up around her scarf as she waited for Jacob to return from school. It was a small relief that the battle wasn't on a school day, but even though she cared about her mates' education she wouldn't have objected to him missing it in the slightest. He was part pack, he knew where his loyalties and priorities lied and so did she.

"Hey baby,"

Not having heard him come in, Brooke jumped when pair of thick, warm arms were suddenly wrapped around her wrist, a pair of lips against her neck causing her to smile.

"You want anything to eat before we go?" she asked as she spun around to face him.

With a shrug as a reply she quickly made him something to dumb down his hunger until they got back, knowing that they were on a time limit.

Reaching the clearing roughly half an hour later it was clear they were the last to arrive, Brooke slipping off her mates back before she narrowed her eyes when she saw Bella standing with the Cullen's. She really didn't trust nor like the girl, and as she continued to stare at the pale brunette she couldn't help but get the feeling that the more the girl was involved with what was going on the worse it would be.

"You alright baby?"

Waving off her mates concern she simply squeezed his hand before heading over to a nice patch of grass, pulling out a blanket before making herself comfortable so she had a clear view of what was going on.

Shaking his head in amusement at his mates' behaviour Jacob turned his attention towards the Cullen's, suddenly serious again when he saw them all watching his Brooke with both amusement and curiosity. A small growl from him snapped them out of it.

"Right," Carlisle began smoothly as he cleared his throat. "We wish to thank you again for helping us out with this unfortunate situation."