Chapter 23

"A best friend is someone who loves you the most when you forget to love yourself"

Arshita's Pov

I and Shubman were surrounded by many different reactions and excited squeels when everyone got to know that I was going to meet his mom after college today.

Ayushi and Shriya were literally more excited than me, and they agreed upon helping me to get ready.

"Acha toh mtlb mai rishta pakka smjhu" Manjot said grinning and I chuckled saying, "Shut up"

"Haan aur ek ye hai jisne abhi tk apni mom ko nhi batata that I'm his girlfriend" Shriya said hitting Abhay's arm.

"Areyy but she already knows you" Abhay said giving 'its so obvious' look.

"Ha lekin teri best ki trh apni bahu ki trh nhi" Nagar said and everyone laughed.

"Waise I'm very fast you know" Shubman said proudly smirking at me.

"Acha itna bhi fast mt ho jana ki thode time me hum sb bua chachu bn chuke ho" Ayushi and we laughed while Shubman made faces.

We all were talking and eating when my eyes landed on a table where Aditi was sitting and was looking at me directly. Her face was pale, had dark circles and she didn't looked right.

Shubman noticed my sudden behavior change and looked at the direction where she was sitting and then back at me. He nudged my shoulder with his, "I think you should go and talk to her" he said softly.

I looked at Aditi and her condition was not letting me stay away anymore so I nodded and excused myself to go to her.

The walk to her table seemed to be so difficult. We shared this table for two years and, we ate, complained to each other, laughed together, talked about everything, but these last few weeks were like the longest of our lives.

Without asking for permission I took the seat in front of her and said, "You look like shit"

She suddenly looked up in shock, "Arshu" she said her voice was quivering slightly.

I looked at her trying to keep my voice stable and not to break down I asked, "What happened? You got into a fight with Siddharth or something?"

"Arshu" she again looked down at her hands and spoke, "There's nothing going on between me and Siddharth"

My head spanned to her, "What?"

"There's nothing" she said.

"But you were there — at the picnic— you and him?" I said unable to understand anything.

"No" she shook her head in denial and looked up to me with a broken look, "That was a misunderstanding, I was so lost, so hurt and broken that I didn't even bother to explain" she said.

"You're the one hurt and broke?" I asked sternly.

"You're the one who left" she said trying not to break down. "You ignored me, you made it so easy to throw away the two years of friendship just because of a fight. I thought we could fix this, but now you have new friends and —and it's like I never even mattered"

"Why were you with him?" I asked looking straight into her eyes.

"We had something in common" she said.

"What?"

"We lost you" She said almost whispering.

"He's the one who left me" I retorted.