Chapter One

Evie POV

Carefully I am closing the door of my brand new apartment after my parents. They just helped me set everything up and are driving back to their house now, which is two hours from me and my new life.

They are not terrible people but they never managed to have a good relationship amongst themselves and as their child I really suffered from their lack of love towards each other and later towards me. I felt like I needed to be away from them in order to try and build up a trusting relationship with them. That is why I decided to leave.

I am lucky enough to have the greatest group of girl friends and a boy friend, that I can always come back to and that I will miss dearly, but I still need to do this step. This is my dream life.

When I was little I always imagined myself in a big office with glass doors and shiny floors that my heels can click on, while I am sporting an outfit inspired by Rachel Zane. This is what I came here to do.

People know me as a smart girl, who works hard and is ambitious to fulfill her dreams. That really is me. But there is another part inside of me, that feels lonely, unwanted, insecure and lost in this world. This part is anything but strong and just wants to curl up in a blankie while listening to One Direction's first album. This side is the one I am trying to hide the most, because it causes me a lot anxiety.

I wipe the tears off my face and start a soft playlist on my phone to make the quietness go away. I wanted this. This is where I am supposed to be, it's just the beginning that seems difficult and scary. I am sure. Hopefully. I make my way to the small bed and unlock my phone. Tomorrow will be an exciting day because I get to meet everyone, explore the building and start my new job. Once I start getting used to everything, I am sure I will be fine.

A message from my best friend Jake pops up. He is actually the guy, who stole my first kiss. It was a terrible experience, if I am honest. Not necessarily because Jake is a bad kisser, he has a lot of experience, but because I really didn't want to kiss him at all. It also didn't mean anything, neither to Jake nor to me. He did it because it was fun for him but as soon as it started I wished for it to stop. That was so unpleasant that I don't feel the desire to kiss anyone ever again.

"Honey are you alright over there"-Jake
"I am okay. Feels a bit odd to be honest."-Evie
"You are ready to do this! You're my strong girl."-Jake

I hope he's right. With that thought I finally fell asleep.

— — — —
Right on time I made my way to the huge skyscraper. It's just as beautiful as much as it's scary. I was greeted by the receptionist, who gave me instructions about how to get to the 45th floor. Let's all hope the elevator works.

Everybody here seems very nice, maybe I actually can do this.

Arriving at my floor I was immediately greeted by a beautiful woman in a lilac pencil skirt. "Hello dear, you must be Evangeline Jones, right? I am Elizabeth Carter and I was assigned to show you around and be there for any questions you might have."
She was nice.

We shook hands and walked to the office I was going to work in from now on. It had a beautiful view, even though most of it was blocked by the near by sky scrapers.

Elizabeth gave me time to get used to my new work space and instructed me to organize some paperwork, so that I can get used to working. Slowly but gradually I slipped into work mode and lost a little bit of my uncertainty. I was right, I want to be here.

Elizabeth was a great help in showing me around and doing the things for me that I can not do yet. She also told me that this floor is facing a big group project in order to try and get a new client. Once I am settled in I will start helping with that too.

I also met a few other of my new colleagues, all of them were amazingly nice to me. Elizabeth went out with me to have some lunch in the cafeteria, which was surprisingly nice.

"Evie, tell me a bit about yourself. I've seen in our contract that you're not from here."
"Yes I just finished school a month ago and I decided it was time to fulfill my dream and leave my hometown. I miss my friends but they'll visit I guess.", I smiled while eating my mashed potatoes.

"Any boyfriend in sight?", Elizabeth asked while seductively sipping from her water bottle making me laugh. "No never had one and there is no one in sight either", I admitted while she looked at me full of pity. "You are too cute, we'll find you one there are so many new boys to meet in this city!", she exclaimed excitedly. Oh let's hope not.

Tom POV

It was just another day at the company. We have this big group project to handle right now, so work life has been stressful. I am not really fond of working in groups because I like things done the right way, my way. But what can you do.

My assistant comes in with my coffee as well as some files I've asked for. She is the only one here that does her job carefully and perfectly. That is why she's the only one I give really important tasks to. Without her I wouldn't have been able to work as efficient and hard as I have in the past couple of years.

"Mr. Holland, I would like to inform you that Elizabeth Carter is training the new employee here on this floor. It's her first day but Ms. Carter thinks she is ready to join the group project from tomorrow on. Is that alright with you?"

"You know I am not a fan of incompetence but I guess our employees have to start somewhere. If this newbie really has this much potential in Ms. Carter's eyes we should give her a chance.", I answered my nose already burried in the flies she gave me.

I don't have time to work with someone, who doesn't know what they are doing.